Loach Compatibly?

noahhutch01

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am in the process of cycling a 29 gallon planted tank. Today I noticed that there were a few snails. I only noticed about ten of them but I didn’t see any yesterday and I know they are known for being prolific breeders. I want to put some Khuli Loaches in the tank, but I’ve heard they’re not great at maintaining the snail population. Could I add in some Yo-yo Loaches with them?

Best Answer - View mythicminx's answer

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yoyo's and Khuli's should be fine together. I don't view snails as bad though. You may not need to buy fish for the sole purpose of snail control.

OP
noahhutch01

noahhutch01

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
GlennO said:
Yoyo's and Khuli's should be fine together. I don't view snails as bad though. You may not need to buy fish for the sole purpose of snail control.
Thank you for the answer. I love both of them so I’m glad to hear that. The snails haven’t been a problem yet but I just want to make sure they’re in check.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Iff you add yoyo loaches, the snails will be gone, all snails of all kind. I love loaches too, they are my longest lived fish going on 11 years, but say goodbye to snails. You should have at least 5 of each loach species, they are very social.
I also do not recomend buying loaches just to remove snails, they live a very long time, they are scaleless fish, so medicating the tank will be harder, you will need hollow decorations for them, you will need to inspect anything you but in the tank for places where they could get stuck or scrapped, they need there own food. They are active greedy food stealing monsters!

OP
noahhutch01

noahhutch01

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh, I wouldn’t be getting them just to control the snails. That’s a bonus! I love loaches and I was planning on getting some even before the snails popped up. I got three Khuli Loaches today (what was available at my LPS) and will get three or four more when they’re available in a few days!

New Threads