Loach Bioload Question

TheDojoMojo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello friends,
I plan to stock a 125 gallon long with both dojo loaches and zebra loaches. I plan to have a group of 5 dojos and 6 zebras and am wondering how much of my tank space this will consume. Is anyone else familiar with the bioload of loaches? I know that dojos get quite long, but they are also not very "massive" for lack of a better term. They are also kinda like just larger versions of kuhli loaches which have a low bioload. This is why im wondering if they would count for the full 7-8 inches of fish or a little bit less. As far as the zebras, I do not have personal experience, but they have a body type very similar to that of a yoyo loach. Im curious to hear yall's thoughts on the bioload of loaches or any experience you have had with any species. Thanks!

RedGallant

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In my experience and to my knowledge, loaches have a small bioload because they aren't the most active fish.

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RedGallant said:
In my experience and to my knowledge, loaches have a small bioload because they aren't the most active fish.
My clown loaches are plenty active, maybe their less nocturnal than other loaches.

RedGallant

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
qldmick said:
My clown loaches are plenty active, maybe their less nocturnal than other loaches.
I think that the snake-like species such as the pangio species and the pond and dojo loach produce less waste than larger bodied ones.

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RedGallant said:
I think that the snake-like species such as the pangio species and the pond and dojo loach produce less waste than larger bodied ones.
Yer I'm thinking my 7-8 kuhli loaches don't have much of a bio load.

nikkimay456

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have clowns, zebras, and yoyos together in a 75 gal. my zebras are a whole lot less pushy and greedy than the yoyos! they also don't grow nearly as big or as quickly. Being so small, I don't think my zebras produce nearly as much waste at the other loaches I have in that tank. I know in my tank, the bioload is also more manageable when my loaches eat more live food like copepods and snails, but I have to keep a 10gal to breed their live food since they gobble every single snail and shrimp up before any can multiply.

New Threads