livestock loss

maintman55

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
what could reasons be?my tank has been up since november,35 gallon,2 aquaclear 50 outside filters,1"forget name"outside filter/skimmer,i powerhead for circulation,lots of live rock.1st livestock was 2 percula clowns,as stated in an earlier post,1 got stuck in a coral crevice and died.i went and bought a royal gramma and a bicolor angel,water parameters right on,a week later the royal gramma was dead,3 days later the bicolor angel.?tested water again,,all is well,,i then went and got a percula clown,i yellow wrass and a fire fish,this was on friday,sunday the clown died,,the others are ok so far,,and the very 1st fish,1 of the perculas is still well?whats up,,water fine,salinity 1.024,,i also match water temps when doing changes.i acclimate my fish using the drip method.

just bad luck???????????????

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No nitrates? Did you just do a water change or something? Are you feeding them? (Just kidding). What was the tank used for before this? Sometimes if a tank was used for FW and then converted some of the FW chemicals can leave a residue in the tank.

Percs are pretty hardy. Weird that one would die without warning like that.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To your answer there is a minumal water flow in your tank you need to have more water flow, I see that you have cyanobacterial build up in the sand bed which is the first reason and second is that the filters you have are not for salt they are for fresh, this in terms tells me that you have high beds of phosphates and nitrates . You did say that 0 nitrates the test may or may not be true. Are you using an R/O or D/I water? The other thing is that this is a new tank and may have been pushed to the edge. It's called new tank syndrome and will eventually take a bigger toll if not corrected. Can you please give me a full detail on your setup? The more that you can tell me the more of a full recovery will happen.

maintman55

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My salt tank
Tank set up November 27/10
1 bag fine sand,1 bag live sand,1 outside filter,1 outside filter that skims too,1 24 inch coralife light bar.
Added salt to atain proper specific gravity.
Desiered parameters—ph=8.0-8.4
--nitrite=less then 20 ppm
--amonia=0
--nitrate=5 or less
-- sg=1.020—1.030
Monday November 29/10 water tests done===ph=8.0,,,nitrite=0.1,,,,ammonia=0,,,,,nitrate=5,,,,,sg=1.025,,,,temp=24 c
Dec5/2010 ph=8.0,,nitrite=0.3,,ammonia=0.3,,nitrate=10,,,sg=1.021.5,,,temp=24 c
Dec 10/2010 added about 10-12 lbs. live rock
Dec 11/2010 ph=8.0,,nitrite=0.8,,,,ammonia=0.3,,nitrate=5.0,,,sg=1.021,,,temp=24 c
Dec 18/2010 ph=8.0,,nitrite=0.1,,,,ammonia=0,,,,nitrate=5.0,,,,sg=1.021,,,temp=24 c
Dec 24/2010 ph=8.0,,nitrite=0.3,,,,ammonia=0.1,,,nitrate=5.0,,,sg=1.024,,,temp=24 c
Dec 26/2010 ph=7.8,,nitrite=0,,,,ammonia=0,,,,nitrate=5.0,,,,sg=1.024,,,,temp=24 c,done with api salt master test kit.
Dec 27/2010 added more live rock and 3 dwarf blue legged hermit crabs.
Dec 31/2010 ph=8.0,,nitrite=0,,,,ammonia=0,,,,nitrate=20,,,sg=1.023,,,,temp=24 c
Jan 8/2011 ph=7.8,,nitrite=0,,,,ammonia=0,,,,,nitrate=10,,,sg=1.023,,,,temp=24 c
Added 2 percula clown fish,acclimated using drip method,2 hrs.
Jan 11/2011 ph=7.8,,nitrite=0,,,,ammonia=0,,,,nitrate=10,,,sg=1.023,,,,temp=24 c,,,10% water change done.
Jan 15/2011 ph=8.0,,nitrite=0,,,,ammonia=0,,,,nitrate=5,,,sg=1.022,,,,temp=25 c,,clowns doing well.
Jan18/2011 10% water change done. Clown fish ok.
Jan 21/2011 added 1 royal gramma,1 bicolor angel,,2 percula clowns doing well.
Jan 22/2011 ph=7.8,,nitrite=0,,,,ammonia=0,,,nitrate=0,,,sg=1.023,,,,temp=24 c,,all fish look fine.
Jan 25/2011 ph=7.8,,nitrite=0,,,,ammonia=0,,,nitrate=0,,,sg=1.023,,,,temp=24c,,,10% water change done,all fish look well.
Jan29/11 ph=7.8,,nitrite=0,,,,ammonia=0,,,,nitrate=0,,,sg=1.024,,,,temp=24 c,,,,sg high,,will add a bit of ro water Sunday,,,lost 1 clown fish,stusk in coral crevice,,drowned?
Feb.6/2011 ph=7.8,,nitrite=0,,,,ammonia=0,,,,nitrate=0,,,sg=1.022,,,,temp=75c,,all is well.
Feb 11/11,,,ph=7.8,,nitrite =0,,,,ammonia=0,,,,nitrate=0,,,sg=1.023,,,temp=24c,,replaced small outside filters with 2 aquaclear 50 units,with some bioballs in them,,royal gramma and bicolor angel dead,?10% water change done.added 1 fire fish,1 percula clown,1 yellow wrass.2 days later newer clown dead,,original clown from day 1 and wrass and fire fish ok.
?each aquaclear 50 states 200 gallons per hr?how can this not be enough flow?
why can these not be used?yes i always use ro water.,,,,help?

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It can process 200 gph, however for the live rock to work as a filter they must have flow running over them. The HOB filters only take water out of the tank and put water in. It doesn't provide any current for the bacteria on the rocks. Thus, no biological breakdown because there's two new filters in there and the live rock isn't getting current. The one powerhead I see in there doesn't look powerful enough, plus it isn't providing flow over the rocks.

This might not necessarily be why your fish died, however you must have current flowing over the live rock in order for them to work as a biological filter. Also, if you have two filters and want to change them out you should do one at a time. If you had any beneficial bacteria within the filters it's gone now unless you kept the filter media.

You don't necessarily need filters - just a protein skimmer, live rock, and plenty of flow, though I use filters on my tanks.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would suggest that no more fish be bought till you have corrected the water flow problem. You need at minumal 10 times the amount of the tank in water flow per hour i would suggest a higher rate like 20 times for this to clear up and also the tank is very new and will take another 3-6 months for the problem to clear up completely and your water from the last test looks fine but like I said it is too new for heavy loads of live stock to sustain the bio load that is needed. If you add more stock at this time then you will end up loosing just about everything and that is not a good thing. So please slow WAYYYY DOWN and things will turn around accordingly!!! you should have a total water flow with a sump not HOB and with power heads or I prefer propellar type heads that give a wider water flow than the traditional power heads that shoot a straight stream of water. Look into Tunze or Koralias for this pump. And do get the proper protein skimmer (foam fractionator) preferable a venturi type and not an air driven type. this will eleimanate all the bad bacterias and also the algeas that are not needed for a enclosed system. With out this type equipment you will be fighting this tank till it drives you crazy and you will loose interest in the hobby.

maintman55

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks for your advice

I would suggest that no more fish be bought till you have corrected the water flow problem. You need at minumal 10 times the amount of the tank in water flow per hour i would suggest a higher rate like 20 times for this to clear up and also the tank is very new and will take another 3-6 months for the problem to clear up completely and your water from the last test looks fine but like I said it is too new for heavy loads of live stock to sustain the bio load that is needed. If you add more stock at this time then you will end up loosing just about everything and that is not a good thing. So please slow WAYYYY DOWN and things will turn around accordingly!!! you should have a total water flow with a sump not HOB and with power heads or I prefer propellar type heads that give a wider water flow than the traditional power heads that shoot a straight stream of water. Look into Tunze or Koralias for this pump. And do get the proper protein skimmer (foam fractionator) preferable a venturi type and not an air driven type. this will eleimanate all the bad bacterias and also the algeas that are not needed for a enclosed system. With out this type equipment you will be fighting this tank till it drives you crazy and you will loose interest in the hobby.
ok ,,lol,,ill slow down,get the flow rate up,and a skimmer,,,its only money,,,i like the hobby,,lol,,thanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom