Livebearers

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Marinedude17422, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Marinedude17422New MemberMember

1. Which reproduce the fastest?

2. Which are best for a 5g tank?

3. Which would be best for a community tank? As in which fish aren't pushovers?

also, do mollies need salt in their water and do platies require any different care?

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

1. Don't know the exact scientific answer, but I do know platies and guppies both breed quickly and have lots of fry.

2. I don't think any livebearers are recommended for a 5 gal. A betta, shrimp, and snails are the only things really recommended in a 5 gal.

3. Guppies and platies both do well in community tanks.

4. Mollies do very well in brackish or salt water. Platies don't require any special care.

3. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

No livebearers would work in a 5g if you're even thinking of reproducing them. All of them reproduce at a fast pace, say 30 or so fry a month.

4. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Heterandria formosa, often called the Least Killifish even though it's a livebearer, can be kept as a colony in very small tanks. They rarely exceed 3/4 of an inch for females, and less than a half inch for males.

There are usually sellers on Aquabid, or you can go to Florida and collect your own. They are quite wide spread, almost as much as Gambusia. They are relatively slow at reproducing, however. Eggs are fertilized at different times, so that fry can be dropped 1-2 every day for weeks.

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Chromedome52 beat me to it. There's also some other types that may work, like endlers (real endlers) or Micropoecilia parae males.

6. emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

Not correct!
    But overhere some one already mentioned heterandria formosa. But also neoheterandria elegans will work in a 5g tank. These two are superfoetative and in a period of 1-2 weeks they'll drop fry. 1-3 a day... and the next drop could be the next day or some days after. They're perfect for such small tanks.

Most micropoecilia like e.g. picta or even parae could do the job. Those micropoecilia won't drop large amounts of fry. But if you'd like to give them a good biotope, you'd put them in brackish water. Females of most micropoecilia will grow up the size of a female guppy with the exception of m.minima.

7. emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

Depending on what kind of endler, the reproduction can be explosive or just consisting of a couple of fry. Even the size depends on the strain. Even if I consider pure endlers. For there are N-class endlers as well which grow up larger than the average ones like, e.g. light blue top swords. And be aware of it that female endlers (both N- and K-class) have the potential to grow up the same size as a female guppy. Most female endlers are smaller for they are fertilized at an earlier age. so, the growth potential will go to the development of the new fry instead to the female's bodylength.

8. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

They all reproduce fast! I have found though my mollies seem to have the most fry compared to my guppies and platies.

I don't feel like any of them are pushovers and seem to do well in my community tank. The mollies are the most "aggressive" but mostly with food ha ha. They don't need salt. They DO however need hard water (greater than 175 or so is ideal). Mollies especially need the harder water, though they all need it.

I have all the fish in my signature below sharing the same tank and everyone gets along fab. The only two bosses in the tank are the ram and the gourami, everyone else just happily lives with everyone else. I should clarify that I have an all female tank though.

9. emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

I do feel that I have to make some corrections overhere after reading your reply.

Not all livebearers reproduce fast... That's an incorrect statement. Your remark goes for most known livebearers. It's a mistake which many make. Coz' there are lots of specimens within the livebearer scene which reproduce slow. You can rely on what I'm saying here. I'm keeping and breeding livebearers for over 40 years now. There are a lot of livebearers most people have never even heard of.

Most molly strains which are more known within the aquariumscene are bred and kept in freshwater. But originally, most of the wild ones occur in brackish water. And you can even move them to saltwater if you give them time.
    Mollies when they're aging more, can even live longer when kept in brackish water instead of freshwater.

I just wanted to put this out here to clarify some misunderstandings regarding livebearers.

No offence by the way... Just wanted to clarify something overhere...
    But I do understand that a lot of people think all livebearers reproduce fast.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  10. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

"a female guppy" can be anywhere between 0 and 3". I don't think you mean 3" here...?

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice