Question Livebearers In Drilled Aquarium With Overflow!

Lea423

Reaction score
Okay. I have a 140 gallon oceanic aquarium converted to freshwater. It is drilled with weirs on both sides for the overflow. I am in the process of getting it cycled again. I’d like to keep a bunch of guppies in it however and some other fish to create a community. I don’t think I could get away with using the trickle filter system since the current on the returns are so powerful and of course the overflow would likely be housing a bunch of fish. I was wondering if I could bypass using it and just use HOB filters instead? Would the pressure from the water ruin my tank since the overflow wouldn’t be functioning? The water level behind the weir is never very high anyway. It doesn’t have a pvc pipe. It just has a mesh type of tube and I have a sponge filter at the bottom of it. Would it harm the integrity of my tank to not use the overflow?

I would just keep larger fish but I’m having a hard time finding a good variety of fish to keep in it. Since cichlids and their aggressiveness. I figured some livebearers would be pretty cool to watch breed in such a large tank with some various other fish included as well. Thinking some rainbows and tetras as well as some sort of small algae eaters (undecided). I wouldn’t mind using the overflow if I could find a way to keep it from sucking my guppies and the fry up into it but I’m not having much luck with that. And I don’t want to risk having it clog up and flood if I were to use screen or something. And also, if I were to use screen the flow is probably still so hard that they would just get sucked against the screen. Help please!

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

Top Bottom