Livebearer / Pleco Diet

TombedOrchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I've been feeding my fish flakes for the past several months. I've heard they need more than this?

I have guppies, platies, mollies, tetras and a pleco.

What else would give them a balanced diet? I've heard sinking algae wafers and cucumbers for the pleco?

Peas for the livebearers?

Are pellets / bloodworms, etc etc needed?

I'd like them to be as healthy as possible.

(Would feeding them ONLY flakes be unhealthy and cause death by any means?)

Thanks!

Why me

Valued Member
Reaction score
Pleco would go after the wafer as well and flakes should be the majority or basis of your feeding arrangement

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've just recently begun raising daphnia and dero worms together in one small tank and daphnia with ramshorn snails (for a pea puffer I'm planning on getting). The Endlers are really enjoying the daphnia and dero worms. Nothing like watching the little guys turn into ferocious predators They're very easy to keep, so I'd recommend that if you have space for another small tank or 2

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What kind of a pleco? Commons will require veggies like zucchini, cucumber, squash, yams, peas, etc. We have clowns too and their primary diet is wood with veggies on the side.

TombedOrchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
What kind of a pleco? Commons will require veggies like zucchini, cucumber, squash, yams, peas, etc. We have clowns too and their primary diet is wood with veggies on the side.
Honestly not sure what pleco. This is my first pleco. LFS tank just said "Small Pleco" ... I think it's the common.

When I give them the veggies... do I do it the same way I give the peas to the livebearers? ... (Thaw it, deskin it, smoosh it?) Or can I just throw the whole darn piece in?

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I always deshell peas and skin everything else. I never mash anything. I do cook it first and let it cool. Lots of times I freeze a bunch at once and take out what I want later.

Rhonda Odom

Reaction score
So I've been feeding my fish flakes for the past several months. I've heard they need more than this?

I have guppies, platies, mollies, tetras and a pleco.

What else would give them a balanced diet? I've heard sinking algae wafers and cucumbers for the pleco?

Peas for the livebearers?

Are pellets / bloodworms, etc etc needed?

I'd like them to be as healthy as possible.

(Would feeding them ONLY flakes be unhealthy and cause death by any means?)

Thanks!

my pleco has taken a liking to blood worms (but still enjoys a round yam! yum)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom