Livebearer mating

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by wonton55912, Mar 30, 2010.

1. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

for those of you who wanted to know what it looked like... i have a pic of a guppy mating with a platy here

Attached Files:

2. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

How did you get a guppy to mate with a platy?

Phil :)

3. OP
    OP
    w

well..... at first i only had my male guppies, female mollies, and female platies. all my mollies died exept one fry. since the first day with platies, they went crazy over that poor platy. then i bought female guppies and STILL they are crazy for that platy. it has been this way ever since i got the platy.

4. p

Have they made babys yet?

5. OP
    OP
    w

no but i'm expecting. i will post pics of the platy. she looks pregnant.

Attached Files:

• Livebearer mating
      018.JPG
      File size:
      101.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  6. p

Are you shes not just pregnant from the lfs?

7. OP
    OP
    w

no, heres my story of buying her and her pregnancy. i bought her. no gravid patch. guppies went crazy for her. still no gravid patch. 2 weeks later with guppies still going crazy 4 her. red gravid patch. its still growing the patch
    shall i highlight the gravid patch?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  8. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

it was a very desperate guppy lol

good timeing on the pic! :clapping: its so hard to get guppies because they just never stop moving! ugh! :shock:

9. OP
    OP
    w

took a long time to get the pic

10. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

i wouldnt doubt it >.< i've sat for hours in front of my tank just trying to get the perfect picture! it pays off in the end tho =D

11. OP
    OP
    w

it actually only took 10-15 minutes. those guppies will do anything for that platy. it felt like hours though.....

12. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im sorry wonton but it is probably harassment more than mating .you will not get a platy and a guppy to mate ....:( keep a close eye on them so she isnt hurt

13. OP
    OP
    w

it looks like mating if you see it in person. they do the same thing to my female guppies when shes not in the tank.

14. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

It depends on what's meant by "mating", to be honest. Male guppies have been reported to attempt to mate with a platy, but producing offspring from such an encounter is believed to be a physiological impossibility.

They may go through the motions, which could be termed "mating", but I wouldn't get my hopes sent on crossbreed fry.

Great picture, regardless!

15. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I agree with Shawnie and mathas, it's just an attempt on the guppies part. I've never heardo f them possibly cross breeding.

16. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I agree with Shawnie, mathas, and Ben. IMO your gup is just "going through the motions". Keep in mind that your platy girl can store sperm for several months and become preggo with no male platy in sight. ;)

17. *Hannah*

*Hannah* Valued Member Member

I am just wondering if your platy had any fry. If she did, was it a guppy/platy crossbreed or just platy?

18. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

We're thinking wonton55912 has moved on, so updates aren't too likely at this point. She hasn't been active on the forums for close to a month now.

See Lucy's post at the end of this thread: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/livebearers/65197-livebearer-crossbreeds.html

19. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice