Livebearer fry tank size?

Lmg01
Sorry for asking a ton if questions recently, but I was wondering if I would need a larger tank to grow out my livebearer fry. I found them in the main tank late, so there are only two of them. I don’t know if they are mollies or platys. I currently have them in a 2 1/2 gallon tank and I’m pretty sure that’s fine for the first month since many people raise fry in breeder boxes. Will it be fine once they get bigger? Ive read that a grow out tank should be bigger, but I only have 2 fry. I plan on putting them in the main tank once they are big enough if they are females. (Any males will go to a trustworthy local fish store).

SouthAmericanCichlids
Well how long'll they be in there?

Lmg01
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Well how long'll they be in there?
I’ll only keep them in there until they are big enough to go back into my 20 gallon. The biggest fish I have in my 20 gallon is a molly, so it shouldn’t be too long until they are large enough.

babyfish
A 2 1/2 gallon tank should be fine. You can move them whenever you feel they will be safe and not fit in the bigger fishes mouths.

They can't stay in there for a life time, but if Its only temporary until there big enough, It works!

SouthAmericanCichlids
Yeah, they'll be fine. And if I were you I would keep them males, instead of the females. So they don't continue to reproduce.

Lmg01
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Yeah, they'll be fine. And if I were you I would keep them males, instead of the females. So they don't continue to reproduce.
I have 3 mollies and 3 platys, 2 females to 1 male for both. If I keep the males I’m afraid the females will be harassed too much. Also, since I already have so many females they’ll probably continue breeding anyways.

emeraldking
Those fry should be fine in there. Nothing to worry about...

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom