Live shrimp feeding frenzy

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by guppygrl, Dec 13, 2012.

1. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

So being new still... I've heard people talk about feeding live baby shrimp. While picking up my two new swords... I decided to buy a bag of fresh ones for my fish.

They loved it! We enjoyed watching them hunt them down and eat them so quickly.

Should this be used once a week and I don't need to give them their normal nightly meal?

2. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

I'll bet they loved it! I'd only do it once a week or once every 10 days. You don't want to get the fish so spoiled that they'll turn their nose up at regular food. And when you feed the shrimp, that should be the meal for the day.

3. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

They acted the same way as when I get my favourite chocolate! Thanks... I'll keep that in mind and just but it a few times a month.

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I thought you were going to change your name ;)

5. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Freshly hatched brine shrimp are great for young fish. Helps them grow faster. Many fish are raised on brine shrimp until they are out of fry-hood.

6. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I was going to change my name but I still have some guppies.... a handful of my fry are in my main tank and so far doing good. Lol I do love my guppies!

I gave some of the baby shrimp to the newest fry but the fry wouldn't eat them. Guess their mouths are too tiny or yet shrimp were too big!

7. C

Those aren't freshly hatched then. Baby brine shrimp are super tiny!

8. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I just bought at store so they must have grown. I haven't tried hatching my own... yet. Are brine shrimp eggs expensive?

9. C

No, not at all. Unless you get a massive quantity, they are pretty darn cheap. You can also make your own hatchery real easy.

10. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I've seen some on YouTube... I'm not that adventurous... but may look into it. My lfs tells me it's messy and not worth the trouble. Maybe they know I'm a newbie.

11. C

Lots of us do it :D

The only way to no longer be a newb is to start doing stuff lol.

12. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I do try! But you're right. I was intimated by the canister filter when I first got it... now I love it. So maybe that shrimp hatching is my next baby step.

I'll report back if I can get that going :) I love the support this group gives. You all are Great.

13. C

14. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I might get adventurous this weekend. I have two little girls who dance during the week and I work full time so don't have much time at night.

Thanks for posting the video. You're awesome!

15. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I can get a container of it for 3.99 .. she thinks it has 1000 eggs? This should be interesting. My daughters Betta fish loved them too!

16. T

TXMatt New Member Member

So you feed all fish the brine shrimp? How much do you feed them at one time? About the same amount as you would for flakes? I watched the video on making your own, and now I want to hatch some brine shrimp, I just don't have any fry to feed them to. But if I could give them to the rest of my fish, that would be awesome. Do the tetras and mollies and what have you all like them?

17. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I would like to know too! I'd just feed it to my adults as a treat but would feed every third day to my fry.

18. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I just followed that YouTube video and am attempting to hatch some. Eggs are being harvested as we speak.

The wait is on! Does it really only take 24 hours?

19. C

20. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Mine love any type of Live food my Rams love earthworms and blackworms. My clowns love coepods and brine shrimp and everyone loves baby brine shrimp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice