Live Rock Question

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by timon4, Mar 27, 2010.

1. timon4

timon4 New Member Member

Hi, I am new to FishLore, and it looks like a great place to ask fellow enthusiast questions. I am about to purchase a 30 or 50 gallon tank to ensure this is the hobby for me, and was curious if there were different types of live rock, or is live rock just rock with life intergrated within it?

2. d

dee34 Valued Member Member

:;hi1hi and welcome to fishlore , live rock can be cured or uncured .probably best to get cured live rock !

3. nate21887

nate21887 Valued Member Member

live rock comes in all kinds of types, varies on the region it was harvested from

4. zeeter

zeeter Well Known Member Member

Live rock isn't called that due to the life in it, though live rock can have hitchhikers on it - usually baddies like enormous bristle worms. The benefits of live rock are that you have a place for the fish to hide and interact with, plus it works as an excellent biological filter. The live rock will house beneficial bacteria that will help your tank. The recommended amount of LR is 1.5 lbs per tank gallon (60 lbs for a 40 gallon tank, for example). There are other benefits of live rock, as well. It looks nice once it collects coralline algae, and it is a good way to landscape your tank with regards of where to put corals and things like that.

There are different types of live rock. There is dry rock, which is basically rock that has been out of the water long enough that everything alive on it is dead. Dry rock must be cured as there are a lot of dead organisms on it. There's base rock, which is live rock that is cured, but has no life on it. The difference here is that base rock can go right into a tank while dry rock cannot. Then there's premium rock, which is the stuff that is very hearty with living organisms - mostly bacteria, but sometimes it will have mushrooms on it, brittle starfish, small shrimps, crabs, and other things, including the evil Mantis Shrimp.

Also, there's no real definition of these rocks. What I call base rock someone else might call dry rock.

5. locoyo386

locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

What it is called "live rock", there are a lot of different types of it. The main benifit of the "live rock" is the live organism that live in the rock, like microfauna. These organism help break down the waste from the fish, this is the main benifit of what it is called "live rock". Other than the live organism in the rock, the rest of the rock will behave the same way. It will allow for bacteria to grow in it to help with the nitrogen cycle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice