live rock

1. Kevin Humphrey Member Member

I'm slowly starting a 75 gallon saltwater tank. right now my sg is at 1.020 going for 1.023.if live rock at the lfs has been in their tanks with fish in it. is it cured

2. reeftofish Member Member

Yes, as long as it is pure white and has some color, it's cured

3. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry to inform you that the color means next to nothing :(. The only real way to test to see if it is indeed cured (how well colonized/cured with BB) is to perform the testing of levels consistently. Testing should be continued till the tank is sufficiently stocked and the biological filtration is able to keep up with the bioload. Curing rock is a continuous process and there is no such thing as cured-not cured. If you look at mature/well established live rock, it's anything but bright white with some coloring ???

4. Kevin Humphrey Member Member

I know they had it in their tanks for awhile would i be able to just add it to the tank when i get my sg at 1.023 its at 1.020

5. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Yeah, toss it right in when your sg is good. That's great that they had it in their tanks and probably has started colonizing. I'm happy you started this thread with the word "slooowwlyy". Take you time by letting the tank keep up with your new additions and you'll be good to go and keep a very close eye on things for a while (testing) and you'll get the hang of it. keep us posted and keep up the good work :).

* FL has tons of great threads of other beginners who started into SW-please read these along with your other research for a good start.