Live Rock Vs Dry Rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by KaitKat, Jun 21, 2018.

1. KaitKat

KaitKat Valued Member Member

From what I'm seeing dry rock will eventually become live once everything is cycled- is that right? If so does it really matter which one I get? For the cheeper price of dry rock I'd be willing to deal with a slower cycle if its all the same by the time the fish go in.

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Live rock pretty much has a bunch of organisms on it that make keeping a saltwater tank a bit easier. We usually call these microfauna, and it's usually comprised of things like pods, starfish, worms, and the occasional macroalgae. Both good and bad things come on live rock, but usually the good outweighs the bad.

Dry rock doesn't have any of this stuff, but it WILL eventually become live rock - you just won't have any of the microfauna. You'll have the beneficial bacteria that allow your tank to cycle, but nothing to help keep your tank clean.

I prefer to use a mixture of dry and live rock, so that it's cheap and you still get all the beneficial creatures, just in smaller numbers. Usually, a 1:4 ratio of live:dry rock seems to work well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice