Live Rock. To Much?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Builds' started by ObsolisPrime, Apr 13, 2017.

1. ObsolisPrime

ObsolisPrime New Member Member

So I've been looking at all these videos of aquascaping, and I'm like holy cow, people who have my red sea 170 have maybe a third of live rock that I have in their display! I'm about ready to start hacking away at rock to cut them down and build my own formations, right now they're just piled on top of each other.

Should I just put what I don't use in the refugium and sump? Also, I just hit the point in my nitrogen cycle where I'm getting close to producing nitrate. Will hacking up the rock disrupt the cycle?

ROCK AND SAND
    The display tank is 34 gal, sump is 10, and adding a 2.5 gal refugium soon. I have probably 40 pounds of sand and 40 pounds of rock.

EQUIPMENT
    Really the only equipment I use now, filtration wise is my bubblemagus 5 skimmer. Some people say it wasn't needed but I wanted to break it in. Along with x2 850gph koralia powerheads, and a 536 gph return pump.

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

You might mess with the bacteria population a little bit if you get rid of the rock and hack at it....but it would be better to do it now, instead of knowing you don't like your set up, adding fish, and then REALLY regretting it!

3. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

Putting the rocks you don't use in your sump will be fine. It shouldn't mess with your cycle too much.

4. DocRick

DocRick Valued Member Member

It is best to lanscape now and cut as needed. Once you add corals and they get comfortable, moving them around can stress them and change their ideal placement. Plus, it'll be easier for you to move rock about as you desire until you are happy with how they look. I moved several corals due to new additions and had to rethink their placement because that one rock did not conform to what I had already envisioned. And yep, it stressed my hammer even if I just moved it less than 6 inches in the same linear pattern.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice