Live Rock Stacking Question

1. Charley Initiate Member

As I mentioned in another post, I'm in the process of cleaning up my 90 gallon tank. I've had a nitrate spike and algae growth. I've been taking out the live rock one at a time, putting it in a bucket filled with water I removed from the tank when doing a water change, and then using a toothbrush to take the excess algae off the rock. Toward the back of may tank, the rocks weren't touching the back of the tank and there are some long stringy strands of algae there that I've been removing.

When stacking the live rock, should it be against the back wall of the tank? Does that make any difference at all?

Thanks! I've had this saltwater tank for a couple of years, and I still feel like a total beginner...

2. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

I had them touching the glass in my old set up. I think they say to leave a gap more for cleaning the glass rather than anything happening, at worst i think you will scratch the glass. Id do it but i wouldn't lean them up on it to the point that there is weight/pressure. I do the same as you with cleaning the rocks. Watch out for them camouflaged snails lol i nearly minced a few with the nail brush. Edit: i only been in the sw scene 6 months my self lol.

3. Nart Well Known Member Member

@Charley typically you want about 2-3" of clearance all around the glass so it's easier to maintain, but also this will help with the flow pattern in your tank. Meaning, a good circulation of water will = less dead spots of detritus build up. Dead spots/detritus build up can often attribute to algae growth in a certain area.

4. Jayd976 Member Member

green hair algae its a pain in the ass and it will come and go. Best way to get rid of it is to remove as much as you can manually (as you are), limit nitrates and phosphates and less lighting for a few days to starve it out.

I have this problem too. I'll go months with out it then it just takes over and I get rid of it and few months later it'll return in my 29 gallon tank.

5. Charley Initiate Member

Thanks for the information! I just finished cleaning the last of the live rock, and I'm planning on placing it back in the tank in a little while. I'll be sure to keep a few inches of space.

Now I'm noticing a lot of gunk collecting and building up on the sandbed. I'll be siphoning the sand tomorrow.

6. Nart Well Known Member Member

Is it brown? May just be going through it's normal motions of a diatom bloom.