Live Rock Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by corycat32, Apr 8, 2010.

1. corycat32New MemberMember

i got a 125 gallon fish tank. i have put on a filter and a protein skimmer. my question is do i have to put live rock in it? its is really exspensive, and i want to just put around 10 lbs in there. i want to just put regular rocks in there to create caves and hiding places. i have live sand , too.

2. Flyfrod

FlyfrodValued MemberMember

Yes live rock is expensive. What you can do is use non live rock to build a majority of your aquascape. Then seed it with some live rock here and there. After a few months you wont know what was live or not.

3. zeeter

zeeterWell Known MemberMember

Right - try some dry rock. That's usually around $2/lb versus the $5/lb for cured rock. Live sand doesn't necessarily do the same thing as live rock, so it's more or less irrelevant in this scenario.

I suppose you don't HAVE to have any live rock at all in your tank. I've seen guys who just throw some PVC piping in there for the fish to play in. Make sure you have good biological filtration elsewhere, though.

4. OP
    OP
    c

corycat32New MemberMember

Thanks! I got 95 lbs of dry rock.

5. ViridiosExotics

ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

I use dry rock to build the majority of my reef and then build over it with live rock

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice