Live Rock Hitchhikers

toomanyfishtanks

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! I’m not sure where to put this thread, so please feel free to move it to the appropriate section. I have just started my saltwater tank, it’s been running for about a week now, and I have finally noticed some little travelers on my live rock! I was just wondering if any one could identify these creatures, and, if so, are they good or bad? Thanks!
F98D33FA-303C-4945-A24D-BF2CC4114D20.jpeg
50E36670-09CC-4A49-AAFC-10C8BCBC6055.jpeg
5770C875-34AC-4C19-83CB-404397E1BEC9.jpeg
89C277A9-47E6-406B-A11E-E4E97ECF5C64.jpeg

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The first 2 look like limpet snails but I can't be sure. Generally they are fine. The next one looks like a standard bristleworm which generally aren't an issue. Number 3 I am not sure on as it's hard to tell from the pic.

OP
toomanyfishtanks

toomanyfishtanks

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jesterrace said:
The first 2 look like limpet snails but I can't be sure. Generally they are fine. The next one looks like a standard bristleworm which generally aren't an issue. Number 3 I am not sure on as it's hard to tell from the pic.
Okay, thank you! The third doesn’t appear to be “living” ie its not moving around, just stagnate. It’s like a deep red spiral thing, maybe a growth or coral? There are quite a few of them, some more brown than red.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
toomanyfishtanks said:
Okay, thank you! The third doesn’t appear to be “living” ie its not moving around, just stagnate. It’s like a deep red spiral thing, maybe a growth or coral? There are quite a few of them, some more brown than red.
Hopefully not vermatid snails, but they don't really have a spiral appearance most of the time. Can you get a vid of one.

OP
toomanyfishtanks

toomanyfishtanks

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jesterrace said:
Hopefully not vermatid snails, but they don't really have a spiral appearance most of the time. Can you get a vid of one.
This is the best I could do, let me know if that link doesn’t work!

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Still no clue after that. Hopefully someone else will have an idea.

Floundering_Around

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The third one looks like vermetid snails. They release a stringy film in the water that they use to catch food but this mucus is irritating and can be harmful to stony corals. If it's just one or two, use some forceps to crush them before they get out of control or you can cover them with a dap of super glue. The more food and detritus in your water column, the faster they'll reproduce IME

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Floundering_Around said:
The third one looks like vermetid snails. They release a stringy film in the water that they use to catch food but this mucus is irritating and can be harmful to stony corals. If it's just one or two, use some forceps to crush them before they get out of control or you can cover them with a dap of super glue. The more food and detritus in your water column, the faster they'll reproduce IME
Vermatid snails tend to have narrow, relatively straight tubes sticking out though. These appear more spiral shaped.

New Threads