Live Rock Hitch Hiker

Redallum

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys just wanted to ask a question about this thing we've just recently discovered in our tank. We just got some new live rock last week and noticed this thing that comes out during feeding time. Its not a bristle worm and I can't think of any other way to search for it. He lives in one of the holes in the rock and only comes out when he is getting food but even when he does grab food its so fast we had to record him to get any sort of shot of him. If you guys have any ideas as to what it might be it's greatly appreciated. It doesn't seem to be bothering/after our fish at all so I'm not too concerned but I just want to know if I should be. Thanks!

I also have a video I could post if that would be more helpful!

Attachments

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Need better pics. The video may help.
Also, some questions:
Does one end of it always stay in the rocks, or does it move about?
Fast/slow mover?
Does it appear to be worm-like (the video or better pics will help with this, but might as well ask. You may offer a bit of info that will be critical to identifying it), crustacean-like, or what?

Redallum

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It stays in the rock most of the time, the only time I've seen it come out is during feeding (Frozen 50/50 Plus). It's incredibly fast and is back in the rocks within no time, you'll see it in the video. It honestly looks half like a crustacean, and half like a worm, I'd say it's about 1.5" to 2" long, let me know what you think.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The pics are not clear but, the first pic looks to me as a shrimp, really hard to tell but resembles that structure.

Redallum

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
e_watson09 said:
It won't let me open the video?
Hmm it's just a .wmv file, shouldn't need anything special to play it, if it keeps on not working, I can try and re-encode it and re-up.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It looks like a mantis shrimp, but it's hard to tell.
Look at some pix of mantis shrimp on the net and compare. If it is a mantis it's nothing you want in your tank.

Redallum

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys, did a little research over the weekend and turns out it totally was a mantis shrimp. Thanks for the guidance, we would have left it in there if we didn't know what it was and what a nuisance it was. Thanks again!

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Redallum said:
Hey guys, did a little research over the weekend and turns out it totally was a mantis shrimp. Thanks for the guidance, we would have left it in there if we didn't know what it was and what a nuisance it was. Thanks again!

That's precisely the reason why I went with 97% dry rock and 3% carefully selected live rock when starting my tank. I didn't want to get any of these nasty hitchikers.

Good luck getting him out!

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Luckyguy said:
i know im allitle late on the post but whats wrong with mantis shrimp?
Go to youtube and search "Manits vs." than decide for yourself. lol

Here's a example.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom