live rock colour

1. PhishHead Member Member

i have a bunch of live rocks (i would post pictures but i dont think its working or im doing something wrong) and some r turning purpleish red but some have a greenish brown covering on them is this good or is the brown stuff band its also on a white type of coral thingy i have. it started slow but is growing more and more on the rock.

2. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

From what I've noticed from my live rock, the brown stuff turns green then white, then purple. If you want the purple to come faster, I suggest using Purple Up. It's working great for me!

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Purple Up is essentially a calcium supplement as I understand it, and it isn't really necessary. I'm a big believer in not dosing anything you don't test for. ;)

Coralline will develop on its own with proper calcium and magnesium levels. Regular water changes will replenish depleted trace elements and can accelerate the growth.

Don't worry too much about how the live rock looks at this point. Your tank is brand new, so it will go through some irritating, and not so attractive, stages. :p We struggled with diatoms for a couple of months after upgrading our tank, and our smaller tank was decently mature. Just hang in there and be patient.

4. PhishHead Member Member

can someone put up a step by step way to do the pictures everytime i go to upload them i get nothing am i doing something wrong. r my pictures too big (size 2.75mb) (1.0mb)

5. outlaw Well Known Member Member

1. Click "Aquarium Fish Pictures" at the top in the blue bar.
    2. Click "Upload Your Photos" in the top right light blue bar.
    3. Select where you would like to upload the photo. (ie member gallery, fish of the month..etc) OR if you have an album folder started, you can select that.
    4. Click the 'Browse' button to navigate where you have your photo on your computer.
    5. Fill in title and description if desired. By default, the title will be the picture name.
    6. Click the 'Upload/Submit' button to add to your pictures.
    ***NOTE- Depending on files size and your internets upload speed, it may take a few minutes. It should tell you "Please wait... uploading..." with a little spinning wheel.***
    7. Once complete, it should take you to the picture you just uploaded.
    8. You should then be able to click "My Photos" at the top left light blue bar to view all your pictures.

I just did 2 files that were 2.34Mb each without an issue and leaving everything defaulted. Granted, I am at work and the upload speed is insane. If you are unsure of your upload speed, you can test at www.speedtest.net.

Hope this helps. I can post pics if you would like.

Welcome to Fishlore. :D

6. PhishHead Member Member

heres some pics

Attached Files: