Live Plants

1. b

billmarshall94 Valued Member Member

my 46 gal tank, dosing co2 1bps, and seachem tabs..my plants just don't look healthy, getting brown algae...here is a photo maybe I am doing something wrong. lights 2 t5 ho bulbs 8 he's a day...Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How long have the plants been in there? Can you get a close-up of the sword? Are the leaves actually dying or just changing colour? Is the wisteria changing colour, too?

3. OP
    OP
    b

the sword is changing colors, the wisteria doesn't look to good..they have been in there about a month.

4. Aquaphobia

Some varieties of sword will change colour. Sometimes the colour change is temperature-dependent. What is the temperature in your tank?

What kind of light do you have? Is there a 4-digit number followed by a letter "K" on it somewhere?

5. OP
    OP
    b

6500k bulbs, I think it an ocelot sword. you thing maybe be to much light.

6. Aquaphobia

Ozelot swords will change colour. Under the right conditions they'll develop beautiful burgundy speckles on the leaves:)

It may be that they're still adjusting to the conditions in your tank! It doesn't sound like too much light to me. Though it's true that wisteria is a low-light plant and it may be getting pale under the light because it doesn't need to have as much chlorophyll. Any chance you can cut the wisteria back and see if the new growth stays greener? It may also help that the lower leaves are further from the light:;dk

7. OP
    OP
    b

will try that, thanks...

8. Aquaphobia

Oh, and the brown algae (diatoms) are fairly normal for new tanks in the first year especially. It should go away on its own;)

9. OP
    OP
    b

OK thank you, new with live plant keeping but they are nice to look at, my wife likes the plastic plants...but it's my aquarium...

10. Aquaphobia

I sense trouble in paradise...;)

11. OP
    OP
    b

no trouble...she is happy. Happy Wife Happy Life...