Live plants while cycling

1. soccermatt Member Member

hi,
    i have decided that i would really like some live plants in my aquarium (amazon sword, hornwort,and a carpet plant). I am currently fishlessly cycling my tank using fish food. My ammonia levels are about at there peak, and nitrite yet to rise. could i add a couple plants in a day or two, or would i be better to wait until my tank has finished cycling (if so what do i add first fish or plants?).
    thanks

2. omnitheforsaken Member Member

Add the plants before the fish. Actually I would recommend that you complete your aquascaping to satisfaction before you add a single fish. It's just easier that way to me.

I can't think of any reason why you would have to wait until your tank is cycled before adding plants but I'm not sure about that.

3. Danionins.com Member Member

No need to wait... if you add enough live plants, your cycle will be complete!

Dennis

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Matt. You can add the plants at any time. They will help your tank to cycle for certain. As to how long it will take to cycle I don't know. Good advice above about having your tank the way you want it prior to adding fish. Much easier!
    Best of luck and I hope you can share some photos along the way.
    Ken

5. melfrany Initiate Member

Hi, I've done the fishless cycle having live plants inside my aquarium and they all survived pretty well...I had to change 25% of the water once a week during the cycling but the plants were fine...Also, it took me close to 2 month until my aquarium was cycled and able to digest 4 drops of ammonia per day...Now that I actually have fish, I'm very impressed that I have no ammonia whatsoever...and I feed them twice a day...
    Good Luck with the cycling! It takes patience but it's worth!