Live plants while cycling

1. soccermatt

soccermatt Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    i have decided that i would really like some live plants in my aquarium (amazon sword, hornwort,and a carpet plant). I am currently fishlessly cycling my tank using fish food. My ammonia levels are about at there peak, and nitrite yet to rise. could i add a couple plants in a day or two, or would i be better to wait until my tank has finished cycling (if so what do i add first fish or plants?).
    thanks

2. omnitheforsaken

omnitheforsaken Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Add the plants before the fish. Actually I would recommend that you complete your aquascaping to satisfaction before you add a single fish. It's just easier that way to me.

I can't think of any reason why you would have to wait until your tank is cycled before adding plants but I'm not sure about that.

3. Danionins.com

Danionins.com Member Member

Ratings:
    +12
    No need to wait... if you add enough live plants, your cycle will be complete!

Dennis

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +271
    Hello Matt. You can add the plants at any time. They will help your tank to cycle for certain. As to how long it will take to cycle I don't know. Good advice above about having your tank the way you want it prior to adding fish. Much easier!
    Best of luck and I hope you can share some photos along the way.
    Ken

5. melfrany

melfrany Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've done the fishless cycle having live plants inside my aquarium and they all survived pretty well...I had to change 25% of the water once a week during the cycling but the plants were fine...Also, it took me close to 2 month until my aquarium was cycled and able to digest 4 drops of ammonia per day...Now that I actually have fish, I'm very impressed that I have no ammonia whatsoever...and I feed them twice a day...
    Good Luck with the cycling! It takes patience but it's worth!