Live plants for the 1st time.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by aquariumgirl lauren, Apr 7, 2010.

1. aquariumgirl laurenValued MemberMember

Hi everyone!

I just bought a 25g aquarium and would like to try live plants for the first time! The only problem is I know nothing about plants or which kinds to buy. Please help! Also my LFS said that it's good to overstock when you have live plants but that doesn't sound right...

2. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

Hi lauren im in the learning proecess myself. I just ordered plants from a member here on fish lore. Check out the buy, sell , and trade. Also there are tons of fourms here on plants, check them out. Any questions you have nutter is the plant man, im sure he will be around shortly. I would suggest crypts, anubias, and java moss.

3. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Hi Lauren, can you tell us some more about your tank? Knowing what kind of lighting you have would be really helpful, as well as knowing the dimensions of your tank (I'm assuming this is the Topfin 25 that is just like a tall 20 high).

I'd suggest ignoring most advice you get from the LFS. They are there to sell you things and unfortunately, that doesn't always lead to the best advice for your tank. I understand where they are coming from with regards to heavy stocking in planted tanks, as plants utilize excess nutrients as fertilizer. However, most low light plants (which I'm guessing you'll be limited to) do not grow fast enough to suck up a lot of nutrients.

Once we hear a little more about your setup I'm sure we can recommend some plants to try out. :)

4. funkman262

funkman262Well Known MemberMember

The types of plants that you can keep varies by tank. The limiting factors may include lighting, nutrients, substrate, inhabitants, and some others (lighting being the biggest factor). The more (intense) lighting you have, the greater your options for plants. You also need to check compatibility with fish/snails. For example, I believe (not 100% sure) that fish such as your pleco and also the snail would tear the plants apart. The cories (especially larger ones such as emeralds) may dig up any plants that aren't well rooted. So be sure to consider that when stocking the 25g.

*Side note: a common pleco will soon outgrow the 26g tank.

5. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

just an appolgy, i stated about nutter, but there are alot members here with a wealth of knowelege.

6. OP
    OP
    a

aquariumgirl laurenValued MemberMember

The lighting is coralife 24 Aqualight Dual T5 lighting and I hope that helps becuase I have no idea what it means, but the tank itself is 24 L by 13 W by 21 height oh and the brand of aquarium is Aqueon

7. harpua2002

Cool, that sounds like a very nice setup! I didn't know Aqueon was making 25's.

Do you know whether your Aqualight is regular T5 or high output T5? A regular T5 light is plenty for low light easy plants, and the high output would be a lot of light (you'd have to get into CO2 and ferts at that point).

8. OP
    OP
    a

I just checked and its a regular T5. I got this aquarium at a steal! I got it with a heater, filter, and the hood with a light for $71. I checked at another store and the same tank was $150!

9. harpua2002

Very good deal!!!

I'd suggest starting with some easy low light plants like anubias, java fern, java moss, bolbitis fern, crypts, etc. I think you have enough light to keep something like vallisneria as a background plant.

I have some plants for sale now and will be getting a lot more in next week if you think you might be interested in anything. :)

10. OP
    OP
    a

Thanks for all your help harpua2002! I will be interested in your plants I just have to set up my 25 gallon first lol. But thanks again for ALL your help!

11. harpua2002

Nutter is better with plant suggestions than I am, so I'm sure he could help you out a ton. However, he's an Aussie, so he tends to be online at different times than us. :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice