live plants and fish

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by cbowlincatfish, Dec 18, 2012.

1. cbowlincatfish

cbowlincatfish Valued Member Member

Is there a live plant that will grow in my tank that my Silver Dollars and my Angelfish will not eat. I planted several back a few months ago a nd the plants kept disappering and I figured out it was my fish. The plants look so much better in my tank but if I put any more in the fish will eat them

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Silver Dollars are notorious plant eaters. Nothing is safe with them.

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Yeah silver dollars are evil with plants lol... I saved my brothers red lily when they started snacking on it...

4. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

You can't do silver dollars and live plants. I had a java fern that was like a shrub - had it for years. The silver dollars mowed it down to stubs. They're long gone (rehomed), and the plant is still recovering.

5. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

Maybe a fast growing floating plant like anacharis?...

6. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

I'm not sure that would be safe, Silver Dollars are better than a lawn mower.

7. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

They should "groom" my yard!;D

8. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I tried to like this when I read it on my profile thing xD

9. Landozer18

Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

10. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

I haven't found any fake plants that I like enough to put in my tank.

11. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Check out the silk plants. Even go to a craft store. Surely you will find something you like. Live plants and Silver Dollars do not mix!

BTW - Silver Dollars are schooling fish. They do best in groups of 5 or more. But, your tank is far too small for this.

12. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

There are lots of different fake plants, its just how you place them in your tank. Tall and short ones mixed greens and reds. You can get porous rocks that already have several attached. Those are nice looking.

Silk plants I've found don't last long; fray and harder to keep clean.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice