live plants and carbon? Question 

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Was browsing through old postings on Fishlore and came across the fact that if you have live plants you should not be using carbon filters as it takes away the nutrients from the plants. Oops, I will take out the carbon from my AC filters but then all I am left with is the sponge and bio max media. Also the ammonia filters have not been reccomended is this true even for a newly seeded/cycling tank? Can I just go with a sponge or two and a bio max media in my filters?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Proud,

I'm not certain about carbon with plants. There are postings about using carbon with fertilizers and the carbon may remove some of the ingredients of the ferts.

Ammonia Filters really aren't necesssary, however, if you are over stocked or having ammonia issues in a cycled tank then adding ammonia neutralizing crystals may help.

Using carbon is widely debated period. Some members use it and some don't. A couple of sponges and bio max would be fine. Should your tank develop a foul odor then I would suggest that you add carbon immediately.

Hang on for more responses. Have a good day!

Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't use carbon, just because I can't be bothered in doing so. I suggest against using any type of ammonia filter, biofiltration will take care of the ammonia once it builds up enough.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
What kind of lighting do you use? Your profile only states it is poor.

What are your parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH?

You have no heater in your tanks? What is the temperature running?

Sorry for all the questions, but the information is helpful in offering suggestions.

When I switched to live plants, I removed the carbon from my filters in order to give the plants time to absorb the nutrients instead of the activated carbon.

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a planted tank and I use carbon in it with no problems only I don't use it on a regular basis. I only use it maybe twice a year to remove any irritants that may have gotten in there from my hands when I go to trim up plants.

Using it occasionally the way I do or if you use it to remove medications from the water is okay but I don't think it's a good idea to use it all of the time since there really is no need for it.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Using carbon with plants themselves isn't nessecerily bad although using them will, as said before, remove many of the nutrients.
I use ammonia removing pads or whatever and still have plants no probs.
Your biological media will not suffer in any way from the plant or i think that is what you are talking about?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You will find the OP was specifically refering to the carbon removing nutrients from the water column. By the way you should remove your ammonia pads. There is simply no need for them in a properly cycled tank & your plants should be consuming most if not all of the ammonia your fish are producing so long as the plants are healthy. You don't have a planted tank in your aquarium info. Do you have a third tank?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads