Live Plants Advice?

TJayPoling
Member
I was calling them Anubias, but I think they're actually Amazon swords maybe? I have 3 sets of them and a few Java Ferns (not buried, roots exposed) The 3 sets, don't seem to be doing very well, while the ferns are doing ok... My water parameters are in check, with a Fluval 407 canister. I'll occasionally use fert, but hesitant due to fear of water additives in the tank... The light system is your standard, bar light that runs over top of the glass lid with a standard bright white bulb that comes stock..
Ultimately I'd like to eventually do away with fake plants, and do some heavy planting but I cant seem to do well with just a few...
 
Corylover123
Member
Which is the anubias I can probably set you on the right track to make a beautiful real plant and decor only tank
 
  • Thread Starter
TJayPoling
Member
Corylover123 said:
Which is the anubias I can probably set you on the right track to make a beautiful real plant and decor only tank
Well, I think I've been calling it anubias, but the plant I mentioned is the one in the second picture.. I have 3 bundles of that plant, throughout the tank, with a vine plant given to me by my dad, who got it from a co worker, and of course the ferns but those are hardy enough that I'm more worried of the plants shown in the second photo, as they're the ones not doing so well.. the Viney plant you see on the crappy tank photo towards the left side is actually not doing so bad, it's extending and creating new growth sites on it, with roots continuing to extend from it
 
GuppyGal7
Member
Amazon swords a very heavy root feeders. Your substrate looks innate, meaning it has no nutrients in it. To grow root feeders in innate substrate, you need to use root tabs. This will provide the nutrients the swords need. The java fern gets it's nutrients from the water column, thus it can live with liquid ferts. Root feeders don't get any nutrients from liquid ferts unfortunately. I recommend buying root tabs or capsules.

If they are actually Anubias than they shouldn't be planted so definitely check what they are first, as the plants have very different care requirements. They're both pretty hardy though, so don't be afraid to experiment to see what works.
 
  • Thread Starter
TJayPoling
Member
Karena007 said:
Amazon swords a very heavy root feeders. Your substrate looks innate, meaning it has no nutrients in it. To grow root feeders in innate substrate, you need to use root tabs. This will provide the nutrients the swords need. The java fern gets it's nutrients from the water column, thus it can live with liquid ferts. Root feeders don't get any nutrients from liquid ferts unfortunately. I recommend buying root tabs or capsules.

If they are actually Anubias than they shouldn't be planted so definitely check what they are first, as the plants have very different care requirements. They're both pretty hardy though, so don't be afraid to experiment to see what works.
I'll be honest, I haven't done nearly as much research into planting an aquarium as I have with inhabitants...I was unaware of these tabs and I will indeed look into these. Corylover123 had mentioned to me about CO2 injections as well.. I WAS slightly aware of that, but I had believed that was only for them flourished, planted tanks that look like a forest.
 
GuppyGal7
Member
TJayPoling said:
I'll be honest, I haven't done nearly as much research into planting an aquarium as I have with inhabitants...I was unaware of these tabs and I will indeed look into these. Corylover123 had mentioned to me about CO2 injections as well.. I WAS slightly aware of that, but I had believed that was only for them flourished, planted tanks that look like a forest.
CO2 is by no means necessary. Beginner plants definitely do not need it to grow. It'll just make them grow faster and greener, but it's not necessary. Don't be too concerned with plants, sometimes certain plants just won't work. Honestly, my tip is if a certain plant keeps dying in your water, no matter how beginner friendly it is, give up and try something else. Everyone has that one stupid beginner plant that they can't grow.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom