Live Plants—can I Move Them To A Different Tank Safely?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Lauren4events, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Lauren4events

Lauren4events Well Known Member Member

I want to move a couple of live plants from my 60 gallon to my 40 and 20 but I’m worried about spreading illness. To be fair, my 60 gallon is overstocked due to my fish being livebearers and constantly having babies. It literally never stops. I hate it! I know that this issue alone causes stress and can lead to illness. So I’m not sure if it’s ok to move some plants or not?

I have had a handful of fish deaths in the past couple of months. Probably 5. Nothing recently. I change the water daily (40% because of how many fish I have, and I’m trying my best to keep them as happy and healthy as possible, given my nightmare situation). My water perimeters are perfect too.

Can disease attach itself to plants? I’m guessing yes. Which is why I didn’t move any yet. How can I do this safely? I have probably 13 live plants in my 60 gallon, which is nice, but it’s too many.

I have to gravel vac everyday because there are so many fish and they all produce waste. It’s hard to do so with so many plants. I always seem to upset some roots, even though I’m careful. I would like to take a couple out for each of my other tanks, so they don’t go to waste. My other tanks only have artificial plants right now.

But is this a bad idea? Please let me know.

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Disease can attach itself to anything, though if it is a parasite it quickly dies out with no animal host. Best to qt for about 3 weeks, dose any meds that won't harm the plants.

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

A quick hydrogen peroxide dip should kill any single cell organisms/parasites IMO.

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Hydrogen peroxide will melt quite a few plants so check its safe for your plants if uou try it.

I just run mine under the tap if its going ftom one tank to another.

5. OP
    OP
    Lauren4events

Will that be safe enough? I don’t really have anywhere to put them for a qt. And peroxide will melt my plants from what I’m reading. And even if it didn’t, how can peroxide be safe for the fish tank?

6. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

Hydrogen peroxide is used to combat algae on plants in aquarium. So, yes it is safe. Instead of dipping the plants in it, just lightly spray the plant, before you transfer it to another tank.

7. s

Its fish safe but i gave up trying to readd riccia 6 months after spot dosing hydrogen peroxide to deal with BBA as it vontinued to melt. I would never recommend using it but some people do.

8. OP
    OP
    Lauren4events

So what would you do if you wanted to move plants? Would tap water be enough? If I rinse it for awhile ...

9. s

Id just run them under the tap or if your really worried do a bleach dip but just check its safe for your plants

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice