Live plant who lives on fish waste

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Anji13, Aug 5, 2015.

1. A

Anji13 Valued Member Member

Hello,

I have 10 gallon tank and I have guppies and platies. Once a person from petsmart told me, Moss Balls live on fish poop. Is that true. Should I put Marimo moss ball in my tank?

2. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I have them in all three of my tanks. They are actually a type of algea. They don't need any additional fertilzer or high end light. They are easy to grow and grow very slowly and maintain that nice green color. Other easy lowlight plants are annubias, java ferns, some of the mosses. They will all do well just with the fish waste in the water. Alison

3. OP
    OP
    A

So all of them live on fish waste?

4. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Pretty much. However some will require additional things like CO2, fertilizers, more light than your normal aquarium hoods. If you are looking for a plant that soaks up a lot of nitrates then a great plant for that is anacharis. Very low maintenance, doesn't need anything other than it being in water and a little light (no more a normal hood light).

5. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

They use the nitrate that is a byproduct of fish waste and uneaten food. They don't need much light so they are easy to keep. Having one in your tank will only help. It certainly won't hurt.

All plants use nitrates and more so ammonia as a "food" source.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    A

i m only thinking of putting marimo moss ball... hoping less maintenance.

7. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

marimo moss ball is as close to a no maintenance plant as you are going to get. Just squeeze it a couple of times in your dirty aquarium water during water changes and that's all it takes.

8. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Just to add, after I gently squeeze them , I then roll them gently between my hands like rolling a meatball then drop back in the tank. Love my marimo moss balls, easy and I love the way they look. Alison

9. K

Kwig Well Known Member Member

It is super low maintenance, but I don't think it's going to work wonders for a nitrate problem like anacharis would. Guppies and platies in a ten gallon, it's probably an overstocking problem.
    I have it in my ten gallon and I pretty much just use it for aesthetics. The other benefits I enjoy are that it out competes other algae, and that debris and microorganisms collect and grow on the surface. This is perfect for the Red Cherry Shrimp colony I have living in mine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice