20 Gallon Tank Live food

ShrimpKeeper

I have a juvenile crayfish, about 3-3.5 inches long and was wondering what the best live food is. I was thinking ghost shrimp but every one always says they can make things sick. I have a pond full of mosquito fish/ feeder fish but I don’t know how the cray fish would get them sence they are really fast. I also heard you can feed them worms but again people say they could make him sick. Open for opinions and options

ahouseofscales

ShrimpKeeper said:
I have a juvenile crayfish, about 3-3.5 inches long and was wondering what the best live food is. I was thinking ghost shrimp but every one always says they can make things sick. I have a pond full of mosquito fish/ feeder fish but I don’t know how the cray fish would get them sence they are really fast. I also heard you can feed them worms but again people say they could make him sick. Open for opinions and options
If you start your own culture of worms or buy from a pet store they should be fine. You just shouldn't feed worms that you get from your backyard.

Demeter

You can use all the above so long as the place you get them from does not use chemicals like pesticides and even fertilizers. I personally would avoid the ghost shrimp as they certainly seem to carry many diseases, maybe if you bred them yourself?

I collect worms and catch fish (which I fillet and freeze some scraps for several weeks to kill parasites) to feed to my axolotl. He’s still alive and kicking after 2+ years so I’m sure it’s safe. Crays love fish, they can catch small minnows just fine at night when the fish are resting.

ShrimpKeeper

Demeter said:
You can use all the above so long as the place you get them from does not use chemicals like pesticides and even fertilizers. I personally would avoid the ghost shrimp as they certainly seem to carry many diseases, maybe if you bred them yourself?

I collect worms and catch fish (which I fillet and freeze some scraps for several weeks to kill parasites) to feed to my axolotl. He’s still alive and kicking after 2+ years so I’m sure it’s safe. Crays love fish, they can catch small minnows just fine at night when the fish are resting.
I will try adding a small minnow and see if he will eat it. What worms are the most nutritious?

JettsPapa

I know next to nothing about crawfish, but instead of ghost shrimp could you find a cherry shrimp keeper who might sell you some culls pretty cheap?

veggieshark

You may have to kill the feeder fish before offering for the crayfish to catch. I used to have a wildcaught crab, and I left a few guppies as feeder with him, but he wouldn't touch them unless they were dead or near dead in front of him. He would rather gobble up tubifex balls.

ShrimpKeeper

JettsPapa said:
I know next to nothing about crawfish, but instead of ghost shrimp could you find a cherry shrimp keeper who might sell you some culls pretty cheap?
veggieshark said:
You may have to kill the feeder fish before offering for the crayfish to catch. I used to have a wildcaught crab, and I left a few guppies as feeder with him, but he wouldn't touch them unless they were dead or near dead in front of him. He would rather gobble up tubifex balls.
I have some cherry's but I don't think I would want to get rid of them even the culls.

I also don't think I would be able to kill feeder fish, i will just adds small one and see what happens.

veggieshark

ShrimpKeeper said:
I have some cherry's but I don't think I would want to get rid of them even the culls.

I also don't think I would be able to kill feeder fish, i will just adds small one and see what happens.
If it attempts to catch the feeder but only injures it or stresses it, it will be worse. Why do you want to feed live? Just feed a piece of dead fish from the store.

YellowGuppy

I've never kept crayfish (at least, not in anything other than a pot full of boiling water!) but they could probably take out snails, couldn't they?

veggieshark

They will eat anything and everything they can get their mouth on.

ShrimpKeeper

veggieshark said:
If it attempts to catch the feeder but only injures it or stresses it, it will be worse. Why do you want to feed live? Just feed a piece of dead fish from the store.
I want to feed it live food because I read that live foods help juveniles get a lot of nutrition sence they molt often

Latest threads

Top Bottom