Live Food?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by CarrieFisher, Apr 15, 2017.

1. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisher Well Known Member Member

Forgive my dumb question, but where/how foes one go about obtaining live food for their aquarium fish?

Also, how can i feed my fry bloodworms?
    I have frozen on hand, can i just moosh one into a but of a pulp and feed it that way?

2. a

aditya2105 Valued Member Member

If u wanna feed "live" food ur gonna have to grow them...Like brine shrimp...Just defrost the blood worms before feeding them

3. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe you can check aquarium coop's video on youtube about growing live foods, that came out today.

4. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

The fry are way to small, so just defrosting bloodworms clearly won't work, lol
    They're bigger than the fry!
    I also stuck a single thawed in, they were interested but gave up bc they couldn't manage it?

Im not really sure hatching my own is worth it, anyone have experience?

Is brine shrimp the only option?

5. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

So the short answer is, you grow it?

This isn't something that i can buy (like crickets) from an LPS or LFS?

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

No, I don't grow it.

7. The Senator

The Senator Valued Member Member

Not a dumb question at all, feeding live foods expands the fun in the hobby and by most people's account can be excellent for the fish.

I would suggest the brine shrimp, there are many many YouTube videos on the process - the cost is extremely inexpensive, I grow mine in a Gatorade plastic container and all you really need is an airline, air pump some salt and I use distilled water - plus the brine eggs (I picked mine up from Your Fish Stuff) and they are also cheap.

So Brine Shrimp..... easy to hatch, not much money and your fish and fry will love them! (Mine go crazy!)

Daphnia is also a great food source -  

I'd say on the bloodworms, yes you'd have to somehow get the pieces small as in mash. I don't recall anyone I know feeding bloodworms to fry - not saying good or bad, I just can't be certain on your bloodworm question.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice