Live Food That Will Survive?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by EternalDancer, Apr 20, 2017.

1. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

im looking to get some live food, put it in a tank and keep it alive (and hopefully breeding) to start off my own live food supply.

Obviously, this won't be doable in a main tank as everything will get eaten by the piggies.

I've put some daphnia in my shrimp tank just to see what they do. Wondering if it's worth putting a load in my snail tank (breed snails for turtle/puffers), or if they'll all just die?

I can also get brine shrimp (tried a brine shrimp tank with no success), bloodworm, tubifex (what even are those? They just look like big bloodworm) and mysis.

They're for feeding community fish (guppy, hatchet, ember tetra, and similar), bettas, and puffers.

Do they need anything special? Plant or whatever?

I have a shrimp tank I can put stuff in, (filtered and heated), a snail tank (filtered) or an empty unfiltered unheated tank.

Any ideas?

2. XanderWell Known MemberMember

I was talking to local aquarium society members about culturing daphnia at an auction. While you absolutely could culture them in a containter or an aquarium of their own, I would not culture them in a tank that contains other species. You will need a food source, and that food would likely pollute your regular tanks far too quickly for your liking.

A handy tip I got about daphnia, too, is that they seem to die off when using water conditioner - it's better to use aged water for their water changes. One guy, I believe, was feeding his daphnia with a mixture of corn starch and yeast... though I don't recall the exact combination he used.

In your situation, I'd grab the empty tank for them and throw in a sponge filter to keep them moving. Heater would not be necessar, but give them some direct sunlight if you can. Encourage algae.

The president of our local club does have one type of worm or larva that lives in his one tank's substrate. They look like bloodworms, but they're not, and I don't remember exactly what they are but he always walks by and notices a cory cat pulling one out of the substrate once in a while.

Culturing bloodworms can be easy enough... but you might not want to tell your neighbours that you're offering mosquitoes a breeding ground. And do not keep them live in your home if you can help it. Ive heard more than a few horror stories of people trying, or oversupplying a tank, and waking up the next morning with a swarm of mosquitoes in the house.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  3. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

I culture live foods, and it is not as easy as it looks. I can't manage Daphnia - the tanks I would need to keep it alive indoors would be too large. In season, I get large numbers of them outdoors in a couple of screened tubs. I feed them brewer's yeast, spirulina and soy flour. Indoors, no luck.
    Whiteworms would be your best bet. They are dead easy.

4. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

You probably wouldn't want to raise tubifex worms (Google it)

5. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Seems like it may not be viable to bother then, and I'm best off just treating them whenever I make it up the shop.

Yummy!! :/

6. purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

You can raise some live food for your fish. Just find the right one. There are some YT videos about various worms and insects that you can raise. Find one that you're not icked out by and that can grow in your home or yard, and see if there are instructional videos about it.

I found that my crawfish loves snails, so now I don't worry about a snail infestation. When the snails reach a certain size or there are a certain amount, I just cull some out to the crawfish tank.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  7. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I cultivate vinegar eels and microworms and both are very easy and dont need a tank. I usually have 3 or 4 different cultures of each going at the same time incase one crashes.

I also cultivated RCS as a food source for my dario darios and have a colony of wild type neos on my 100g that act as a snack/live food source for the fish. Depending on how manyvyou start with shrimp can be a great source of live food

One thing im looking at trying if i can get myvhands on any is Gammarus. I think the common name is scuds.

Another option some people may not agree with is breeding live bearers and letting the fry get eaten. I have black mollies in my current tank that are decended from the original trio i got yrs ago when i first got back into fish keeping. I keep 3f and 1m and give away the parents and thevrest of the fry every few months. This way i have a steady supply food and dont get over run with fry..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice