Live Food Or No

The Lonely King

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I Don't Have experience with this kind of fish
But feeding your fish live food can be bad
Not only you making other fish suffer but Your fish is going to die early because of The fat and other bad things so i would Suggest attaching dry food on a string Then moving around the tank to trick the fish
after about a month the fish will start eating dry food
by doing that not only you are saving Other fish but also your money and your fish.

UnderwaterGalaxy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Lonely King said:
if you are feeding him/her guppies it's not that bad but i still think it's better to try to feed him dry food
Why do you think dry food is healthier than live food? Fish eat live food in their natural habitats and live as long as the conditions allow. Have you looked at the ingredients that actually go into dry foods? Some of the ingredients are crude fat, crude protein and crude fiber. You also have preservatives and other not so healthy ingredients that go into the dry food.

I used to feed my Columbian shark (catfish) live, frozen fish and some pellets once in a while. He lived for over 16 years. In captivity this fish lives up to 15 years. I think dry food alone would not have kept him alive as long.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
live food is healthy if you know what kind of nutrients they will get from what your feeding and is usually more expensive unless you grow your own live foods

Why me

Valued Member
Reaction score
For my silver gar. I gut feed the guppies that I have with flakes Is that good enough

The Lonely King

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
UnderwaterGalaxy said:
Why do you think dry food is healthier than live food? Fish eat live food in their natural habitats and live as long as the conditions allow. Have you looked at the ingredients that actually go into dry foods? Some of the ingredients are crude fat, crude protein and crude fiber. You also have preservatives and other not so healthy ingredients that go into the dry food.

I used to feed my Columbian shark (catfish) live, frozen fish and some pellets once in a while. He lived for over 16 years. In captivity this fish lives up to 15 years. I think dry food alone would not have kept him alive as long.
in nature it's not easy for a predator to hunt fish sometimes they spend a week finding for food but when the fish is in your tank it's so easy for him to catch the fish.
But still this is my opinion
and take my advice never feed your fish gold fish

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why me said:
Is it possible to feed a Asian needle nose gar pellets
No, it is not if you are talking about Xenentodon cancila. This species is so purely piscivorous that even the newborn fry prefer baby fish to eat. The first person that I know of to successfully raise fry was Jim Langhammer, former curator of the Belle Isle Aquarium in Detroit, and one of the most prolific breeders of unusual fish that I am aware of. He used hundreds of newly hatched Paradise fish and other fry to raise about 15 of these to a size where they could eat adult Guppies. I have seen claims of raising them on baby brine shrimp, but Langhammer had tried this and the young gars all died of starvation, so I find these claims somewhat dubious.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom