Live food/non-freeze dried food?

hrrenee

Hello! I am trying to figure out what kind of blood worms "floo the flowerhorn" uses in their videos. They definitely aren't freeze dried, as they are a nice blood red and they look...soaked through? Like they aren't freeze dried or frozen, but still dead. I would love to have some of these to hand feed my fishes, but google is coming up empty handed. Any thoughts?

I'd also love recommendations on live or non-freeze dried food for my shrimps and fish! So far I've tried live brine shrimp, freeze dried blood worms, and boiled veggies. Shrimp + fish are both fans of the first two, but don't really care for veggies except for broccolI (well, at least cucumber&carrot).

TIA!

Salem

Fairly certain he uses frozen and just thaws them out.

hrrenee

Fairly certain he uses frozen and just thaws them out.
Really? Hmm, never woulda guessed! Do you know what brand he uses? All the worms seem long / fully intact.

Salem

Not sure on the brand but I assume its likely HikarI or Omega One- they seem to be the most popular.

ystrout

I've never seen those videos, but it sounds like frozen bloodworms...

You can let them sit out at room temp for 30 minutes to thaw out before feeding, then put the remainder in a tupperware in the fridge. They're good up to like 3 days, just like meat us humans thaw out and eat. If you are going to feed all the worms to the tank, just toss the whole cube in there. This will get juices in the tank though so it's cleanest to thaw them out then put just the worms in.

Most of us feed our fish frozen food with non-sharp tweezers. Ones without pointy edges are good because sometimes your fish will get so excited they'll attack the food and cut themselves on the tweezers.

Some good brands I used to use are HikarI and Omega One, like Salem mentioned. Just recently, I switched to San Francisco Bay Brand frozen food. For whatever reason, my spotted congo puffer LOVES this brand. They'll eat herself into a ball if I gave her enough. When I fed her Hikari, she only ate until she was full then stopped. She also loves the mysis shrimp from that brand. When I used the brand Piscine, she didn't even touch them. I can't explain it, she can tell a difference. My community fish and pea puffers eat the food all the same. Just my spotted congo puffer notices a difference.

My theory is that since the SFBB worms are fatter and juicer, they have more flavor, and she loves them. I don't know why she likes mysis shrimp from that brand better though. They look the exact same as Piscine.

hrrenee

I've never seen those videos, but it sounds like frozen bloodworms...

You can let them sit out at room temp for 30 minutes to thaw out before feeding, then put the remainder in a tupperware in the fridge. They're good up to like 3 days, just like meat us humans thaw out and eat. If you are going to feed all the worms to the tank, just toss the whole cube in there. This will get juices in the tank though so it's cleanest to thaw them out then put just the worms in.

Most of us feed our fish frozen food with non-sharp tweezers. Ones without pointy edges are good because sometimes your fish will get so excited they'll attack the food and cut themselves on the tweezers.

Some good brands I used to use are HikarI and Omega One, like Salem mentioned. Just recently, I switched to San Francisco Bay Brand frozen food. For whatever reason, my spotted congo puffer LOVES this brand. They'll eat herself into a ball if I gave her enough. When I fed her Hikari, she only ate until she was full then stopped. She also loves the mysis shrimp from that brand. When I used the brand Piscine, she didn't even touch them. I can't explain it, she can tell a difference. My community fish and pea puffers eat the food all the same. Just my spotted congo puffer notices a difference.

My theory is that since the SFBB worms are fatter and juicer, they have more flavor, and she loves them. I don't know why she likes mysis shrimp from that brand better though. They look the exact same as Piscine.
Oh Awesome! this is all very good info to have, thank you for sharing. Ill definitely go and stop by my petco and pick up some frozen foods!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Idkitsathrowaway
Replies
Views
RobinWhiskers
Replies
Views
Gene987
Replies