Live Food Cultures...What Should I Get?

BirdMom

I'm thinking of starting some live food cultures especially for the African dwarf frogs, my Cory fry & adult Betta but I am unsure what to grow or how much I will need since all my aquariums put together are about 75 gallons if I have them all up & running & I don't right now...right now I only have 34 gallons going.

Also wondering if I can start a culture from wild-caught stock, I live on the Hudson river (like not even 50 feet away from it) so I can probably catch wild Daphnia.

I also seem to have some type of copepod in my aquarium already and I have detritus worms that my daughter is betta really seems to love to eat.

I feed Frozen bloodworms but my fish don't seem to be too crazy about brine shrimp living or Frozen.

I was thinking some black worms (if I can ever find them local, or dose anyone know where to buy them online?) & not sure what else the African dwarf frogs will eat.

Thanks for any advice.

smee82

Other then daphnia also have a look at vinegar eels and microworms if you want to raise fry. Both ere extremely easy.

BirdMom

Other then daphnia also have a look at vinegar eels and microworms if you want to raise fry. Both ere extremely easy.
Mostly I want to feed the African Dwarf Frogs, but would also give the extra to the adult Betta & the Cory fry but the Frogs are my main reason to want to start cultures.

smee82

Mostly I want to feed the African Dwarf Frogs, but would also give the extra to the adult Betta & the Cory fry but the Frogs are my main reason to want to start cultures.

I would stuck with black worms then.

Flyfisha

Check out white worms BirdMom. I find them a lot less work than black worms.

White worms are an inch or more long similar to black worms. Instead of running another fish tank with multiple water changes as you do with black worms it’s a plastic box of potting mix . Instead of cutting the worms in half to get them to multiply you just feed them dry dog food EVERY 3 or 4 days. No water changes and definitely no smell. Compare them to the smell of black worms even with multiple water changes and I can’t see why anyone would recommend black worms for the home aquarium?
Replace the dirt / potting mix every 6 months and don’t forget to feed them .

My experience is to treat them just like their smaller cousins the grindle worm.

I had a search on this site for information on white worms. I found little that matched my experience of them being a different species to grindle worms but requiring the same treatment. The white worms in Australia survive at room temperature of 27 Degrees centigrade unlike the American videos of them needing a refrigerator/ wine cooler?

BlackOsprey

White worms all the way. Simple, no water changes, odorless, nutritious, absolutely irresistible to all small fish and frogs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
Replies
Views
Frank the Fish guy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Willj626