Live food and hitchhikers

Catappa

I used to breed mosquitoes in a pail outside and also scoop daphnia out of my small ponds to feed my fish. After a horrendous murder spree carried out in an aquarium by an invasion of damselfly nymphs years ago, I stopped feeding live. The damselflies most likely came in with plants (since then, I carefully inspect and rinse plants and often quarantine them). However, that made me fearful of whatever else might be in the water, such as hydra or other unwanted guests. So now I only breed brine shrimp or feed frozen or other commercial foods. If I ever again keep fish that only eat live food, I will most likely only feed brine shrimp and springtails. Springtails are sold here through special live food businesses. Various labyrinth fish and top feeders love to eat them from floating plants.

I'm curious -- are there others here who are also afraid to feed wild live foods?

carsonsgjs

I wouldnt say I’m afraid - more like lazy! I stick to frozen for convenience more than anything. On the occasions i have fed live food ill just buy it ready at the time.

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

I think a lot of people here avoid live foods for fear of parasites. . . I stopped feeding tubiflex worms to my discus (when I kept them), for that reason.

Upvote 0

Ouse

Only live food I ever use is the occasional live brine shrimp or daphnia packs from the LFS. I would be afraid to pull creatures from the wild because who knows what they could harbour?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
devsi
  • Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
  • SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Fish Food