4. awful save the whales

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. who cares

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. woodjm79 Initiate Member

ok so here is goes....
    if u have a tank full of all diff types of fish.. just wondering now... if you have several fry from all types of live breeders and only a few fry make it every batch .. wont that be the strongest fry? and if so would you not be keeping only the best of each litter? so then if the best from each hatching make it and so on in a few years would u not have superior fish???
    let me know what ya think? if this is so then i would not want to sep my fry and hope that they are strong enough to make it .. of couse i have lots of places for then to hide like in the wild! so its like they do have a great fighting chance? lemme know?
    JD

2. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Only the strong may survive in the wild because they have no limits to the area to find places to go to hide and they have a choice as to area and neighborhood to live in. They can choose not to live where danger is the most prevalent. If they are cooped up in a tank, even though it may be enormous, they still may be put in with other fish who may not be a part of their normal environment. It would not be giving the fry an even fighting chance to ask them to "duke it out" with a predator they were really never meant to do battle with in nature. Perhaps when they are larger they are able to deal with the "unnatural" although compatible environment.

Only one woman's opinion.

Rose
    :D

3. woodjm79 Initiate Member

thats what i wanted to know! thanks a ton!~
    im not saything that i am going to do this... but from time to time i get a female that has some little ones and it never fails that only about 2 or 3 make it.. so really my thoughts where are these 2 or 3 the strong ones? are they the best of the clutch?
    poll on people!
    jD

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

yep they'd be the best of the bunch, the strongest and the luckiest.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I think J-Man hit it :D they are probably the luckiest, just hid and didn't get eaten :D
    Carol

6. Jason Well Known Member Member

Perhaps the more intelligent! ;)

7. DAWNA Initiate Member

Anyone heard of inbreeding? If not, just take a look at what happened to pit bull terriers when humans decided that they would only breed the strongest and meanest regardless if it was mother to son or sister to brother. The closer things are in the gene pool the more screwed up the DNA strand becomes ... I know this for a fact since several generations back, my family tree didn't fork like it was supposed to and, well, hence the term "kissing cousins". :eek:

8. Jason Well Known Member Member

Interbreeding or sometimes linebreeding has resulted in some fish being deformed or the fish may have weak resistance to disease or may be barren