Live Black Worm Ok To Feed Daily?

Guanchy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I went to the fish store to get frozen food to condition my bettas for breeding and this lady recommended live black worms which were actually way cheaper! she gave me a container for only $2.

I have never fed live food to my fish before but they seemed to love it. at first they were like what the heck is this! but eventually destroy the worms!

Is it really that good for fish? can I feed it daily?

jacob thompson

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes it is extremely good for the fish, black worms are very nutrient dense but I wouldn’t feed it exclusively since it isn’t a staple food. It doesn’t have a balanced nutrient panel. You can feed everyday in small amounts if you make sure he is still eating a balanced staple pellet or flake food.

IHaveADogToo

Well Known
Reaction score
Bettas thrive on variety. Live blackworms are a good food but you should be switching it up. Don't feed them the same thing every day. By feeding a variety of foods, you can ensure they are getting a range of nutrients. It will also keep them from getting sick of eating the same thing over and over.

OP
Guanchy

Guanchy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
great! I usually feed them the tetracolor flakes and Omega one freeze dried bloodworms

jacob thompson

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That’s a good staple food. Just to make sure do you soak the freeze dried blood worms before feeding? Just because freeze dried foods have been known to expand in fish’s stomachs and cause constipation.

OP
Guanchy

Guanchy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jacob thompson said:
That’s a good staple food. Just to make sure do you soak the freeze dried blood worms before feeding? Just because freeze dried foods have been known to expand in fish’s stomachs and cause constipation.
Ummm I didnt know that I usually just put it in the tank. Good to know. Thanks

IHaveADogToo

Well Known
Reaction score
Someone I follow on YouTube recently had to deal with a constipated fish, caused by not pre-soaking freeze dried worms. He documented the whole thing:

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One thing that you need to watch for is addiction.

Lots of fish can get addicted to live foods.

For example, if you feed discus too many bloodworms, they can become addicted and it will be hard to wean them back to a staple.

OP
Guanchy

Guanchy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yes! I'm going to give it to them every other day or so. or maybe a few days during the week

New Threads