Live bearing fish keep dying

Greyfernandes

I have a new 105 gal pond thats been set up for a month with fish and ive noticed that my female guppies die during or after giving birth. This has happened with three females and they were all perfectly healthy and the other fish are fine. Also a molly ive had for a year recently died and she had a full belly of babies all the fish were healthy and then end up dead the next day.

fishnovice33

That is not a lot of information at all. What are your water parameters and water temperature? You put a molly in a pond that was in a tank? Is your pond cycled? I don’t think the fact they were pregnant had anything to do with their death. Normally a month for a pond circulating is fine but 105 gallons is a very small pond and would need more time especially for fish more sensitive than goldfish or koi.

Upvote 0

Foxxway

This happens commonly with guppies and sometimes mollies, depending on breed. Although usually a hearty breed, mutt guppy females tend to get larger than fancies and can die after a few batches of fry. I don't think they were bred for longevity as they're not an expensive fish and many use them as feeders (though NONE of MY fish will eat them to control fry numbers).
I have abut 10 very large goldfish in a 110 gal pond with snails and idk how many guppies. It has massive filtration and haven't had any problems and crystal clear water.
The main factor for their deaths is wild temp swings. Where I live, it can be 48 one day and 100 the next. I had to put a 400watt heater in the big pond tonight. Tomorrow, I'll prob have to grab what I can from the smaller tubs and transfer some inside and the rest to the larger pond.
Fun fact- the goldfish I griped about for months not breeding seemed to have been very busy under the heavy cover of water hyacinth. I grabbed a rather large "guppy" only to find out it was a goldfish. They stayed a brownish bronze, but are starting to turn dif colors. The only fish in there are variations of orange and white. One has black trim, so IDK how that happened unless the comets somehow mated with bertha the oranda.
I've had balloon mollies in there at times too, depending on temps. They can handle up to 90 degrees, but not much more than that. They're good down to 58 degrees, if need be. I'm not going to overwinter them outside, though I saw a youtuber do it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SarahPar
Replies
Views
Penguin225
Replies
Views
Bentley
Replies