Live bearers: An awesome idea for fry

Destanie

So I had a great idea about keeping baby fish safe. As you know, when a live bearer such as a guppy, molly etc gives birth, the mother tries to eat her young. Unless you have a fry trap or plants there is no way to keep your babies safe from getting eaten.
I thought of a cheap way to help the baby fish survive with their mothers in the breeder tank/separator. Some people can't buy plants because some species like to tear them up. Fake plants are alright but they have been known to scrape up poor fishy scales.

So what you do is you put 50 cents into one of those toy capsule machines that are in every Cici's or chinese restaurant, and take the toy out and give it to a kid or something. Keep the circular toy capsule! Make sure it's one of the larger capsules. Drill holes all around, into the capsule and its lid. The holes should be big enough for the fry to hide inside but small enough so your adult live bearer cannot fit. With all the holes, the plastic capsule should sink. If it doesn't sink you can easily tie a fishing sinker to it to make it sink. Place the capsule into the breeding tank/separator.

And there you have a fry shell-protector. What do you think?

Flowingfins

Cool idea

blusshed

Sounds like a bit of a hassle lol with the drilling, but it might work! Plus it's cheaper than a fake plant, especially silk. But would the plastic leach anything into the water? That I'm unsure!

Destanie

Well it's deff worth a try. I wouldn't think it would mess up your water. Plastic plants don't really mess with the water.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

goofster

I wish I had that problem.

None of my fish will eat guppy fry. Not even my big community tank with pearl gouramis and rams. It's worth a shot! Good idea.

Anders247

Sounds like a good idea!

CliCliW

Sounds like a bit of a hassle lol with the drilling, but it might work! Plus it's cheaper than a fake plant, especially silk. But would the plastic leach anything into the water? That I'm unsure!

There is a chance that it could leach, depending on the type of plastic. Most items used in aquariums, whether intended to be used in tanks or not, use food-safe plastic. I would be kinda afraid to use such a capsule just because I wouldn't be sure what plastic was in it.

It is a really inventive idea though: Nice job!

Dolfan

So I had a great idea about keeping baby fish safe. As you know, when a live bearer such as a guppy, molly etc gives birth, the mother tries to eat her young. Unless you have a fry trap or plants there is no way to keep your babies safe from getting eaten.
I thought of a cheap way to help the baby fish survive with their mothers in the breeder tank/separator. Some people can't buy plants because some species like to tear them up. Fake plants are alright but they have been known to scrape up poor fishy scales.

So what you do is you put 50 cents into one of those toy capsule machines that are in every Cici's or chinese restaurant, and take the toy out and give it to a kid or something. Keep the circular toy capsule! Make sure it's one of the larger capsules. Drill holes all around, into the capsule and its lid. The holes should be big enough for the fry to hide inside but small enough so your adult live bearer cannot fit. With all the holes, the plastic capsule should sink. If it doesn't sink you can easily tie a fishing sinker to it to make it sink. Place the capsule into the breeding tank/separator.

And there you have a fry shell-protector. What do you think?

To be honest I'm not sure it would work that great.

For one they are pretty small, so even if the fry swam in there, it wouldn't be big enough where too many would swim in there.

Next, fish and fry recognize plants, rocks, and other natural looking stuff as protection. They wouldn't recognize the plastic bubble shaped object at the bottom of the tank. They also wouldn't know to go swim into the bubble to be protected.

You can get breeder nets and fry traps for around $5, and these work pretty good, not giving the fish options of whether to swim in or out, they are more of a barricade.

Also, unless you are intentionally breeding guppies or other livebearers for sale or to breed certain traits/colors, most of the time the fry can get very out of hand. Leaving the owner to have to figure out what to do with all the fry. Many stores don't take fish from customers and ones that do, probably wouldn't offer anything for the guppies.

I keep guppies and have all males for this reason. I don't think it's a good idea to keep male and female live breeders together unless you have a plan in place on what to do with the 100's of fry you are about to have. They can quickly overcrowd a tank.

I hate to be shooting down your invention, I'm sure you have great intentions and keep it up, maybe you will figure out something that works better.

If you are looking for a DIY breeder solution, I know many people use a clean unused bath scrubbie as a breeder mop. They unravel it a bit and put it on the bottom of the tank. The fry swim into the netting and the larger parents can't. These scrubbies are usually sold for $1 at many dollar stores or places like walmart.

Destanie

So I made one. My fry absolutely love it. It's working great. I put a protein pellet in the capsule to coax them inside. The two babies that were born 2 days ago are eating great as well and caught on fast. I might make a bigger one to accommodate their size when they grow a little but for now it works and it only cost me 50 cents. When they get full size I can take them to my local aquarium store and get store credit for them. I have a breeder net but I made this so that once my other guppy is ready to give birth I can keep these two babies in the same mesh breeder.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

F1shy

I'm suprised it actually worked. Can you post a picture of it?

BlazeFlamer

New born fry may not be able to escape fast enough though

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Doesnt hurt to try Great idea!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

TheLilMommaB

Glad to hear that it's working for you if looking for a bigger idea why not try a food storage container like from the dollar store drilled with holes?

BigXor

I like it

Necessity is the mother of invention - In this case, keeping one's money in their wallet.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chillin
Replies
Views
CheshireKat
Replies
Views
I3uckethead
Replies
Views