Live Aquaria - Plants

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am one that will speak up if I have an issue with someone, so I am obligated to speak when things go well.

A few years ago I received a shipment of plants from Live aquaria that was so bad that I said I would never deal with them again. I called it in was given a credit and that was it. Fast forward to now. I really needed plants for the 150 and the ones I got from another supplier all died but the Montecarlo. The lace plant bulbs were rotting. So Out of desperation I called Live Aquaria and to my surprise the credit was still there. I placed my order (paying the extra for next day air) and held my breath. Well I have to tell you the plants are better than I could have hoped and there was and extra couple of bunch plants with it. It has been several days and the plants are all doing quite well. The lace plant bulbs are sprouting nicely.

One bad and one good shipment. I am hoping this the way it will be for the next orders and the first experience will not be repeated. But as of now I am pleased with the service and product.

Last edited:

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My experience with any mail order is that things can go wrong in shipping. The 'product' is alive, and the stresses and extreme conditions can take something that left great and demolish it in transit.
I tried an experiment once where I mailed myself several batches of killifish eggs, as I was on a short road trip. Several of the lots arrived with no eggs - they had been killed and decomposed in transit. Others hatched perfectly.
I was inclined to get mad at myself for ripping myself off, but I learned something valuable there.
You can have awful, thoughtless sellers, but you can also have packages cooked, frozen or both in transit.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My experience with any mail order is that things can go wrong in shipping. The 'product' is alive, and the stresses and extreme conditions can take something that left great and demolish it in transit.
I tried an experiment once where I mailed myself several batches of killifish eggs, as I was on a short road trip. Several of the lots arrived with no eggs - they had been killed and decomposed in transit. Others hatched perfectly.
I was inclined to get mad at myself for ripping myself off, but I learned something valuable there.
You can have awful, thoughtless sellers, but you can also have packages cooked, frozen or both in transit.
Valid point.

On killifish, are they jumpers? I posted a photo a while back of our male golden wonder. It vanished from the 55. The 55 has a cover but there are gaps in the back. I could not find that fish anywhere. Tore the aquarium apart looking for it. It was fine one day and the next gone. There was nothing in there that would have eaten it completely in that short of time. If it jumped the cats would have gotten a snack.

Now I have this poor little female all by its self in the 150. I am hoping that another male comes in but they said they don't come in much any more

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We're are veering off topic, but golden wonders are unbelievable leapers.
They aren't a representative killie though - one of a small group of Asian killies that are rough, predatory and large. The ones I keep are West African, small and peaceful. It's a big family.
Their eggs travel well by mail, if luck is on your side.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We're are veering off topic, but golden wonders are unbelievable leapers.
They aren't a representative killie though - one of a small group of Asian killies that are rough, predatory and large. The ones I keep are West African, small and peaceful. It's a big family.
Their eggs travel well by mail, if luck is on your side.
Really. Ok (of topic though it may be) just how big and a pain in the neck can I Expect this little girl to become? (she is so cute, but then again so is a very young tiger oscar)

Do you sell some that would fit in a well plant aquarium 150 gallon with angels, GBR, Glass cats, corys, mystery snails, ottos, pearl and a very peaceful Britchardy?

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have thought about purchasing from Live Aquaria. But shipping from California to Ohio just has me on edge. Thanks for sharing.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I say big, you have to realize I am at heart a small fish guy. So a 3-4 incher is big to me. The problem with golden wonders (a linebred mutation of Aplocheilus lineatus) is that their mouths are as wide as their heads, and their appetites are enormous. So while the 'kill' in killifish comes from Old Dutch for 'small stream', lineatus can have the English meaning of the word in them. They do eat smaller tankmates, as ambush predators.
They also get very fat. It's my luck that the one killie in a thousand species I can't stand is the one I could buy at my lfs. Go figure.
The killies I breed are small, colourful and quiet, but easily dominated. Your community would slaughter them, sadly. They do best in unheated single species tanks, at 18 to 22 celsius. Lagos red (640x427).jpg A bualanum N'Gorro (640x474) (2).jpg striatum2x (640x402).jpg

KristaD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have thought about purchasing from Live Aquaria. But shipping from California to Ohio just has me on edge. Thanks for sharing.
I ordered dwarf puffers from live aquaria to Nebraska and they were flown/delivered overnight. The heating pak was still warm!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I say big, you have to realize I am at heart a small fish guy. So a 3-4 incher is big to me. The problem with golden wonders (a linebred mutation of Aplocheilus lineatus) is that their mouths are as wide as their heads, and their appetites are enormous. So while the 'kill' in killifish comes from Old Dutch for 'small stream', lineatus can have the English meaning of the word in them. They do eat smaller tankmates, as ambush predators.
They also get very fat. It's my luck that the one killie in a thousand species I can't stand is the one I could buy at my lfs. Go figure.
The killies I breed are small, colourful and quiet, but easily dominated. Your community would slaughter them, sadly. They do best in unheated single species tanks, at 18 to 22 celsius.View attachment 319975 View attachment 319977 View attachment 319978
Thank you for the info. She is still quite small. I just added a school of glow lights that are very young, I hope between her and the britchardi they will be ok.

Verbatim

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you for sharing this. I'm planning on getting fish and plants from LiveAquaria, mostly because I have a 15% off coupon and I'm ordering enough to get free shipping. I've seen some really bad reviews so it's nice to see a recent good one!

Dcchillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've always had good dealings with live aquaria/Dr Foster and Smith. They supplied almost everything in my tank outside of the fish. Customer service is amazing as well.

As far as ordering plants, I chose the two day shipping option and they were shipped to Indiana in winter with no problem. I did have them delivered to my work so they wouldn't be out in the cold.

The plants, mainly crypts ,melted back pretty bad, but from what I understand that is to be expected of crypts, and my ludwigia had to shed it's emerged growth.

The first couple months have been touch and go, but everything is still alive, outside of two balansae. I also had so many plants a buddy got 10-15 stems of ludwigia, and a pot and a half of hairgrass. I ordered one bunch of ludwigia and literally got 3.

So ya I have zero complaints with these guys. If you take your time, look at the weather when your expecting the package and adjust shipping accordingly, and have some patience as the plant transitions to submerged growth, or any regular adjustment period for that matter I think it's worth it.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom