Live Aquaria Has Azoo Sponge Filter Clearance: 50% Off

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Islandvic, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Live Aquaria has Azoo sponge filters on clearance for 50% off.

I have no affiliation with the website or Azoo, just came across the good deals on the sponge filters.

I prob will pick up a few assorted small sizes.

Plan was to keep the loose sponges shoved into a HOB or canister.

When I need to set up temporary QT or hospital tank with 5 gallon bucket or plastic container totes, I can pull the sponges, slip them on the filter and air stone for an instantly cycled holding tank.

Maybe even use them for future breeding / fry tanks!

I really like the ATI brand of sponge filter products I use. But for the cheap price, i will try out the Azoo brand.

2. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

the azoo mignon palm 60 hob power filter is also on clearance for $3.50. i actually bought one + one of their sponge filters last night. it's a good filter for a nano tank.

for reference, the palm filter is $15+ right now with amazon prime. i got it for cheaper on liveaquaria even with the $7 shipping (didn't have enough things to make the $19 cut for free shipping).

it looks like a lot of azoo brand products are on clearance, so they're probably going to stop carrying them.

3. OP
    OP
    Islandvic

I forgot to post about the Azoo Palm.

Thanks for mentioning that!

I looked again and although the web page says 50% on Live Aquaria, some of the sponge filters are actually discounted more.

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Plan was to keep the loose sponges shoved into a HOB or canister.

I definitely like that idea. Thanks for sharing the deal!!

5. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

I usually get my sponge filters from CLLpetsupplies.com. 4pks are the best deals there.

I did order 3 Azoo palms and 2 Azoo 250 skimmers. I have 2 Azoo 250 skimmers I picked up a few months back for $20 ea so $5 ea is a steal. They do have some minor issues but for $5, well worth it.

6. DarkOne

I just got my order today. The 3 Palm 60 and 2 250 skimmers were $21 so shipping was free. They're both still in stock.

I thought the Azoo 250 skimmer was a decent deal at $20 but it's a no brainer for $5.

7. OP
    OP
    Islandvic

@DarkOne , would you be able to post a pic or 2 of the Azoo skimmers you already have?

I was considering picking up another 2 sponge filters and may throw the skimmer and palm filter in the in-basket.

Thanks

8. DarkOne

The Azoo skimmer is better for rimless tanks but works on rimmed tanks if you don't overfill the tank. The skimmer basket is too close to the glass so if you have a rimmed tank, the water level has to be low enough for it to work. I also have a Sunsun skimmer that puts the basket farther away from the glass so it clears the rim on my 40g breeder tank so I like it better and it was cheaper at $10 shipped but you can't beat $5 :).

They definitely do a great job of getting rid of surface biofilm. I have all three on a timer for 1.5hrs in the evening as it only takes about 15m to clear the surface. I like the extra flow so I keep them running for a bit longer. If the flow is too strong, the Azoo comes with a diffuser you can attach to the output nozzle (on the 30g one).

30g rimless
    2019-04-02 23.05.49.jpg

20g long
    2019-02-03 14.32.01.jpg

9. midna

got my stuff in today too! the sponge filter came with an extra sponge, which is nice. i'll be using it in a 3g bowl for ghost shrimp.

20190405_141714.jpg

10. OP
    OP
    Islandvic

Which model sponge filter is that?

I ordered 2 different ones, I already for got which. Ha.

My order should be coming today also.

I got my assorted lengths of vinyl hose yesterday. 50ft for $8 and 25ft for $4 was a bargain.

I can connect to my normal drain hose and now water the plants in front and back yard during my PWC's.

11. midna

it's #9 rated for 25 gallons

12. OP
    OP
    Islandvic

Received my order the other day of misc supplies from Liveaquaria.com clearance including the 3 Azoo sponge filters. Paid $1.50, $2.50 and $3.00 for them.

For the price, they are a great deal. Plan is to keep the sponges in my Aquaclears and pull them when I need to set up a QT or hospital tank in 5 gallon bucket with a small heater.

I may use one full time for a betta tank

They come with an extra sponge included, as @midna advised.

They are very similar in construction to the Hikari Bacto-Surge "Large" I got from Amazon a few months ago for $5.00.

All these Asian clones of the ATI Hydro Sponges appear to be made at the same factory.

My guess is one or two manufacturers crank them out in mass production and then companies buy them to place into their own retail boxes.

The sponge foam material looks slightly more coarse than a standard ATI Hydro Sponge.

It is still more fine compared to ATI's coarse "Pro" foam.

Although the plastic barrel cage and connectors fit together ok, the ATI models fit together better and have a better feel to them in my opinion.

Shown in pics below, you will see how the air line runs down the lift tune and connects to a fitting.

Each "barrel cage" has an internal plastic tube the air runs down and finally into the base cap where the air exits and rises up.

The design does not require an air stone.

Problem that I can see is the inner plastic tube that sends air to the bottom is supported by plastic guides that are rather thick.

My thought is they may slightly restrict rising air bubbles and flow of water.

I will probably dremel them all out, then run the air line straight to the bottom with an air stone.

Here are some pics.....

20190407_082856.jpg

20190407_083136.jpg

20190407_084344.jpg

20190407_084604.jpg

20190407_084711.jpg

20190407_084851.jpg

13. midna

the insides look similar to my chinese xy sponge filter. i hollowed it out and put an airstone in it too to make smaller bubbles and make it quieter. these sponges are pretty coarse, maybe not ideal for baby shrimps or something

14. Homeslice

HomesliceWell Known MemberMember

Just purchased a few of those sponge filters and that 60 HOB - for $3.50 that is amzing haha. Thanks islandvic and midna!!!