Little White Worm Things - Ugh!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ToRo, Apr 26, 2017.

1. ToRoValued MemberMember

So, this morning I look in my tank and I have little white worm things on the glass, mostly in the back (yikes, it seems like if it's not one thing to worry about it's another :) ) They are tiny... what are they and how do I get rid of them? I put a new moss ball in about a week ago and planted new plants yesterday, would that have anything to do with it? I do wc every week (at least) and have two filters on. The water "looks" good and clear with the exception of those things. Water parameters are all good - and I have new fish coming tomorrow... what should I do?

2. rubyswordValued MemberMember

They are probably just nematodes.... Pics would be helpful. They are probably harmless, and yummy snacks for the fish!

3. ToRoValued MemberMember

Here is a picture, sorry it's not very clear, they are on the back of the tank...

Attached Files:

4. rubyswordValued MemberMember

They look like planaria, which are harmless unless you have shrimp. Plecs like to ea them, if I remember correctly. What type of fish are you getting?

5. ToRoValued MemberMember

Ember tetras, but have 2 cherry shrimp in the tank and a small pleco that will be rehomed... :/

How do I get rid of them? I did a 30% wc and it doesn't look like as many this a.m. I wouldn't want them to affect my shrimp...

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. rubyswordValued MemberMember

The only shrimp they will affect are babies... unless they are huge. You're on the right track, tho. Planaria form because of excess food. Extra wcs and monitering the amount of food will get rid of them.

7. Mike AValued MemberMember

Are you sure theyre not detritus worms?

8. rubyswordValued MemberMember

Detritus worms are thinner, and go in the water column or in the gravel.

9. ToRoValued MemberMember

Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice