Little white worm like things in Fry tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Clay Yingling, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Clay Yingling

Clay Yingling Valued Member Member

So I was on vacation for 10 days and came back to find my fry tank covered in algae. So today I scrubbed the tank then did a water change. I noticed these little white things swimming around like snakes. Some are up to a half an inch. I'm not to sure exactly what they are but they seem to be nematodes. How can I get rid of them. And prevent them in my other tank. I have no clue how they got there because I don't have live plants or new fish in the tank. The fry and mother have been in there for almost a month and a half. They only seem to come out when I disturbed the gravel. Are these good or bad and what should I do?

2. Akili

Akili Valued Member Member

They could be one of three things: Hydra, Nematodes or Planaria For hydra infestation, there are three products that can be used to remove them. Dactycid, Flubenol and Panacur. CureEx, kills a range of nematodes.and for Planaria you have to remove them by using meat in a mesh bag .First you will have to know what you have

3. OP
    OP
    Clay Yingling

After examining one under a microscope I have come to the conclusion that they are nematodes. I will be soaking my syphone algae brush and bucket in a bleach and water mix. But what should I do about the tank. I am planning on giving the fry to my fish store. So how should I treat the fish/aquarium.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

They are harmless, usually the result of overfeeding. They are no hazard, just unsightly. Some fish will eat them.

5. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Simple detritus worms I'd imagine. Not a threat to anything but sign that you're overfeeding or not cleaning enough. Every tank has them to some degree.

6. OP
    OP
    Clay Yingling

Okay thanks guys. I'm sure that my dad was just over feeding the fry wile I was away. I am still going to treat my supplies just so I don't get a lot in my other tank. Thanks again guys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice