Little Sister Caught Unkown Fish

GlamCrab

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
we went fishing earlier today, my little sister caught this:
6D45AD64-6CDC-47BB-B5E2-1F491E8523DB.jpeg

We thought it was a drum at first, but after checking internet we came to the conclusion that it.. was not. I am also assuming it is very gravid, since its spawning season.

If it helps we are in Canada, Quebec

GlamCrab

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's a beautiful fish. Catch & release? Not judging, just . . . please say yes.
yep we let it go, right after the picture.

it might be a carp but... i also held the fish while we removed the hook and i dont remeber seeing barbels on it. its mouth was also very squishy and downwards

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A Carp without barbels eh?

Some carp do not have barbels e.g. Grass Carp, Crucian Carp, Gibel Carp etc.

GlamCrab

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A Carp without barbels eh?

Some carp do not have barbels e.g. Grass Carp, Crucian Carp, Gibel Carp etc.
looked those up, except this one's face is different. i do belive its in the carp family. but its face is wrong, i belive its a type of redhorse (after some research) because of its mouth it was facing downwards like a sucker-
but its so FAT. or gravid. it makes it look off.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It’s definitey not a common carp. I agree with the above. Looks like a species of buffalo.

GlamCrab

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks like moxostoma hubbsi to me. Not a buffalo carp.
That could also make sense, its actually on the list of native species here- unlike the buffalo carp.

In any case im glad we let it go. If it was THAT specie, its super endengered here to the point where keeping any redhorse is illegal.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There was a very similar post to this a year ago or so and it was a reshorse in Quebec. I’m not sure where you’re fishing but they’re known to be I think west of Quebec. But it was in fact a redhorse. The gill plates look a little iffy to me, but the entire body shape and lack of barbels totally rule out the buffalo carp. I’m nearly certain that’s a redhorse.

GlamCrab

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
There was a very similar post to this a year ago or so and it was a reshorse in Quebec. I’m not sure where you’re fishing but they’re known to be I think west of Quebec. But it was in fact a redhorse. The gill plates look a little iffy to me, but the entire body shape and lack of barbels totally rule out the buffalo carp. I’m nearly certain that’s a redhorse.
Yeah.. that post a year ago was also me. I had never seen a redhorse before. But this one looked so different it puzzled me.

I am fishing right next to montreal, like its litteraly across the river. This particular fishing spot is a spawning point for multiple species including redhorses, sturgeons, walleyes, sucker fish, ect. When fishing there we were aiming for Alosa sapidissima who is known to cross this place to breed.
(Probably should have mentioned that earlier, woops)

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very interesting and I am grateful for the knowledge given here, not having known this species previously as I am in England.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom