Little red worm

Takingtulips

Hi guys I’ve found a little red worm in my gravel as well as some detritus works and tiny little white “bugs”. My tank is mid cycle, I’ve got a bunch of plants they probably hitchhiked in on. I have no fish in this tank so it’s not an immediate issue but I’d like to identify and treat my tank before adding any fish. Please help!!

JustAFishServant

I've seen two out of three of these little critters in my tanks as well! The little white "bugs" are most likely Copepods, also known as "Cyclops Shrimp", and are not only completely harmless to your aquarium but beneficial for both your plants and potential inhabitants! Copepods are a fantastic food source for a lot of smaller fish and shrimp, plus they eat algae like crazy and will likely help your plants from experiencing excess algae growth on their leaves. As for Detritus Worms, these guys are similar to Copepods in that they're beneficial! They also make a great food source for smaller inhabitants and are an essential part of all tanks! In fact, no matter what you do, you can never get rid of them! They practically live in your water source! These guys most often stay in the substrate so you typically will not see them unless the substrate is "too clean" or there's not enough of it. Make sure you have a good layer of nutrient-rich substrate for both your fish's and plant's sake. As for the little red worm, unfortunately I can't tell what that little guy is. He looks like a Bloodworm but I'd doubt that one of those from the wild could end up into your tank. It's not completely impossible but I just haven't really seen it all that often! Hopefully this helps you a bit with your "problem", or should I say lack of it! And remember to have a great day!

Upvote 0

Takingtulips

I've seen two out of three of these little critters in my tanks as well! The little white "bugs" are most likely Copepods, also known as "Cyclops Shrimp", and are not only completely harmless to your aquarium but beneficial for both your plants and potential inhabitants! Copepods are a fantastic food source for a lot of smaller fish and shrimp, plus they eat algae like crazy and will likely help your plants from experiencing excess algae growth on their leaves. As for Detritus Worms, these guys are similar to Copepods in that they're beneficial! They also make a great food source for smaller inhabitants and are an essential part of all tanks! In fact, no matter what you do, you can never get rid of them! They practically live in your water source! These guys most often stay in the substrate so you typically will not see them unless the substrate is "too clean" or there's not enough of it. Make sure you have a good layer of nutrient-rich substrate for both your fish's and plant's sake. As for the little red worm, unfortunately I can't tell what that little guy is. He looks like a Bloodworm but I'd doubt that one of those from the wild could end up into your tank. It's not completely impossible but I just haven't really seen it all that often! Hopefully this helps you a bit with your "problem", or should I say lack of it! And remember to have a great day!
Thank you so much!!!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rebeccaxo
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
kinsey12345