20 Gallon Tank little house of horrors

jayham26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This has been the second lose due to disease,
I bought a blue and gold gourami from petsmart and DID NOT quarantine my mistake. My favorite fish my paradise fish has been the second fish to sucumbe to death, very angry at myself. So to all fish lovers don't make my mistake. I hope my other fish won't be next. The first fish (blue gourami) had internal parasites and treated her in my hosp. tank and she died. The second fish the paradise fish had sores on her that I thought it was hemorrhagic septicemia and treated the main tank with triple sulfa. She died this morning. The red marks on her side was bigger and another one on the other side of her appeared this morning before she died. My water levels where all in the green no ammonia no nitrites and low nitrate. So the lesson I learned is TO QUARANTINE, QUARANTINE, QUARANTINE.:-[

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mixing gouramis with the paradise fish probably stressed the fish to the point they got sick and died. But yes, quaratine tanks are essential.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry about your fish.
Hard lesson learned, but maybe by posting, you'll save someone else's fish.

jayham26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know mixing gourami is not a good idea but they all got along fine. Like in my signature picture they swam around in a group and didn't show any sign of aggression. The blue gourami stayed to her self most times and the gold and paradise were like buddys.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What would you expect to see as signs of aggression?

There doesn't need to be outright fighting for fish to be stressed from aggression.

jayham26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That is true that stress can be caused by putting to many gouramis together, but I thought that everything was good and I really don't know if the stress brought on the sickness or if the sickness was evident, but I do know that I'm not going to get anymore gourami. The good news is that my momma platy is up to 15 fry now and still going.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom