Little growth on rainbow fish chin.

Kassh4815

Hey everybody real quick question. Just got done having to treat for ich. Everybody seems happy and healthy now but my rainbow fish developed this….. growth on this chin. I posted a picture below. It’s flows so it’s not ridged. He still eats VERY enthusiastically. Nobody else in the tank appears to have anything on them. Any ideas?

1644358759010.jpeg

GlennO

I notice his upper lip also has a white film on it. Rainbowfish are notorious for these types of issues around the lips and mouth. Often the symptoms will improve with larger and more frequent water changes. That’s all I can suggest for now. Keep an eye out for the appearance of any other odd symptoms/growths that might suggest a more serious infection.

Kassh4815

Will do just wasn’t sure if it could be a result of ich treatment or something else. We love how he darts around for food and is sooooo lively. Just want to make sure he stays healthy.

New2fishlovinit

I’m constantly dealing with this with all my rainbows. I’ve had much worse sicknesses but these lip issues do seem to come and go. Apparently sensitive lips with fast fish they bump glass, decor, or even substrate.

Kassh4815

Do I need to treat with anything or just my water changes ?

GlennO

It may well be a response to Ich (which can cause secondary infections) or the medication. Hopefully he will recover.
I’m constantly dealing with this with all my rainbows. I’ve had much worse sicknesses but these lip issues do seem to come and go. Apparently sensitive lips with fast fish they bump glass, decor, or even substrate.
Pristine water quality is the best control. Many experienced rainbowfish keepers do no less than 50% weekly, often more.

New2fishlovinit

It may well be a response to Ich (which can cause secondary infections) or the medication. Hopefully he will recover.

Pristine water quality is the best control. Many experienced rainbowfish keepers do no less than 50% weekly, often more.
Yeah I’m on that train now. I’ve got the tanks “over” filtered (canisters/internal/sponges/UV) and planted, but about 50% 20+ gallons in 55 gallon tank with 3” substrate. The only rainbows that have ever been really sick were the female reds that had some kind of wasting/whole in the head. One gave it to the other then to the male. Females have passed but male has gone through quarantine and treatment for parasites so will see. they get soooo big the bio load was more than I expected. Reducing stock is a plan. Hope OP little bugger is doing ok !

Kassh4815

I do a 50 percent every 2 weeks. Water parameters are 0-0-15 atm. I change at 30-35 nitrate typically.
This round of ich was really bad. I lost several fish despite treating the second I saw it and following all directions to a T. I lost quite a few green barbs and cherry barbs a kuhli loach and an oto. I was devastated. Thankfully my krib and rainbow didn’t get hit to hard.

New2fishlovinit

So sorry for your looses … that sucks. I’ve never had anything that bad happen. I’ve lost some baby/young angels that never grew, and the two female reds but that was spread out. Hope all stays better now.

GlennO

Best to keep nitrates as low as possible for Rainbowfish although you need a little (say 10-20ppm) in a planted tank. Rainbowfish often respond well to salt too, but since they are usually kept in planted tanks it means moving them to quarantine. So you have to weigh up the potential benefit of salt treatment versus the stress of moving them into QT for a period of time.

Kassh4815

Ya I have about 9 plants in the tank that are thriving extremely well

1644364741655.jpeg
This was pre ich. The algae grew quickly due to having no filter for a stint and losing part of my cleanup crew

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Kjeldsen
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views