Little Flower Pots

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by offshorewife, Apr 6, 2010.

1. offshorewife

offshorewife New Member Member

I've enjoyed viewing everyone's betta tanks and I have to know where you find those little flower pots. I've looked at Walmart, Target, Hobby Lobby, & Michaels with no luck. I've also looked online but with no luck. Can anyone direct me in the right direction. I have a new 10gal I'd love to use these in.

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

terra cotta? try a garden center (home depot, lowes, or a private one in your area.)

I think you are supposed to make sure it isn't glazed. If it's painted, you're supposed to make sure it is aquarium-safe.... I think.

welcome to fl.

3. OP
    OP
    offshorewife

duh I didn't think about Home Depot or Lowes. They are an hour away so I guess I'll have to wait. Thanks!

4. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

I found a bunch of them at WalMart today, in the outdoor center.

While I've only heard of this happening this one time, Lyndra just experienced one of her bettas getting stuck in the little hole on the bottom meant for water to drain out of. So please be vigilant when using these in your tanks!

-Tony

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I got mine at Lowes Or Home Depot, I forget which.

6. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

I have found them at the dollar store as well...........

7. OP
    OP
    offshorewife

I read about the hole incident but I saw in someone's photo that they piled gravel or rocks on top of those holes. I was thinking of using aquarium silicone to stick a larger rock or something over the hole. I guess I'm going to have to go pot hunting again.

8. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Wal-Mart and Dollarama are where I've found mine.

9. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I got mine in the fall at a green house... there was a sale of 3 for a dollar!

10. lyndra

lyndra Valued Member Member

Yep Squirt got stuck... he still has pots in his tank but they are pretty small and have very little holes.. less then a half cm.. if you have a small fish like Squirt is check them really well to make sure they cannot fit the hole he got stuck in was only about 10mm across (A inch is about 2.5 cm)... I think I'll take the extra precaution of blocking up the holes in the remaining pots with aquarium silicone myself in all the tanks - we have no other teeny fish but it's better to be safe then sorry.

I never ever expected it to happen, I have pots in all of my tanks and my adult crowntail is far far too big to fit in the hole .. even the end of his nose won't go through... Squirt is very very little (hence the name) and is only about 5 months old.. he's about 1/2 the body size of my adult betta.

I picked up my pots at a variety of garden centres, rinsed them really well under running water and left them in a bucket of old tank water overnight to soak away anything that could be left in them then I dried them in the sun over a weekend. Once they were dry I attacked them with a screw driver and made doorways in them so my fish can use them for shelter (Firesong doesn't like even the gentle filter flow sometimes)

Our Cichlids love them and firesong uses them a fair bit as well, Squirt plays in them but they are upright in his tank with the holes against the gravel.. they are just there to give him stuff to do and I move them aboce every week.

11. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I get mine form Hobby Lobby their in the fake flower section. usually*

12. Zoreta

Zoreta Valued Member Member

If you can find them small enough, some don't have the drainage holes- the pot in Nappy's tank doesn't have a drainage hole, for instance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice