Little bugs under lid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mer-max, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

Ok. Ima little stumped right now. My wife and I found these little bugs on the underside of our tank hood on my 55 planted. Trying to get an I.d.

I took pics but they were so small they are blurry :

They had multiple legs, a small head and a larger rear end, oval shaped. At first glance I thought they were a greenish color but I had the t5s glaring in my face and I believe they are a medium/light brownish.

Anyone have a clue what they are/how to get rid of them?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. beginner

beginnerValued MemberMember

I cranked the co2 for a week with absolutely no surface movement. the white skim took care of them......or maybe it was just the fact that the lid was off the whole time. idk, maybe try either

3. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I have those as well in all of my fish tanks. They're called Springtails. They're harmless, and ironically my Mbuna Cichlids will eat them if they get too close to the water.

4. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I think it's an alien invasion.

5. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Springtails huh? Where do they come from? And what do they want with my fishes

6. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

They're just a moisture bug. Usually you can find them (depending on the humidity) grazing down towards the ground on an old soiled lawn. They can get in the cracks of your windows, walls, floors, etc.

I wouldn't worry of them, they're just annoying. Those types of bugs are actually common with bright to medium lighting, too. Sometimes if the water gets on the splash guard of a light fixture and keeps it damp, you'll see them there, too.

7. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Ah ok. Makes sense since the tank is right by the front door. We don't have much grass though. It's a new home. Maybe been here 4 months tops. Didn't get too much grass to grow before it got cold lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice