Little Boy Blue

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have, shamelessly, aquired a new little boy betta. Because of Dante's problem with constipation possibly caused by eating the fry of my guppys and swordtails, I took all my live-bearers to the LFS. In return, the manager gave me my choice of Bettas. He is mostly blue, with red on his fins. Right now he is still adjusting to having more space to swim and not being surrounded by other Bettas in little bowls. I was able, however, to capture these pictures. They are kind of blurry, so please bear with me. (I need a new camera)

S.

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
oh he is gorgeous, and a free betta how lucky.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
that's nice, I'm glad you found one you like. Detail as you say is fuzzy but he's a nice colour.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He's beautiful!

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sunny -

I knew I would love him!!  He is really Beautiful!!  The colors are so vibrant and he is so nicely marked.  I bet he is surprised to have all that room! Congratulations on getting such a lovely Betta and for FREE too!!

He is sure blessed to have landed such a fine Betta Mom and 2 nice Betta Big Brothers.

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind comments.
Now, a question: How do you get such wonderful pictures of your fish? Mine always end up blurry and dark. If I try to use the flash I just get a big white glare. Some members here (can't remember who right now) have posted such perfect pictures, I am jealous!
Any tips you can give me would be very welcome.

BTW.... I think Little Boy is older than both Dante and Floyd were when I got them, and he is not nearly as muscular as them. I know that this last fact is because he had basically no swimming room in the bowl, and hope he will fill out some in his new tank. Is there anything I can feed him to help him along? Again, any help is appreciated.

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My camera does not need a flash to get the pictures I need for some strange reason, the old one did and I had a lot of problems with the white glare too.  Believe me that for every good or fairly decent one I get, I have about 20 that are blurry and terrible because THEY WON'T HOLD STILL.  I used to have a couple of little hams (Misty and Noel) that loved to have their pictures taken but unfortunately those two are gone.  I guess the secret is to just keep taking them and hope that a few will come out in a way that you want.  I also have the best camera that I could get due to the help of my family and when I got smart enough that it wasn't necessarily smarter than me in all aspects than me my pictures did improve because I could set a resolution that was higher.  (5.0 megapixels)  Mike takes the best pictures I have seen and he can probably tell you more about how to take pictures than I can and so do both Butterfly and Gunnie.

I give my fish vitamins every day that are supposed to improve their immune systems and do not cost a fortune.  I know this has been a source of amusement to some but my fish do seem to be very healthy and if I am careful (which you are) about the water changes and all the general situation is great.  I also make sure that I do not feed my fish off brands of food, no experimentation for me.  I figure the main brands have gotten that way because a lot of folks have had really good results with them and so far have not been disappointed.  I truly do wish that Omega One would come out with a really good Betta food but so far the pellets that they have put out for them are too big for their mouths.  Gunnie brought this to their attention and so perhaps they will look into it in the future.  I stick to the Hikari brand for both the Betta Bio-Gold Pellets and the Freeze Dried Blood Worms and Ocean Nutrition Atison's Betta Pro for my Baby Bettas whose little mouths are not big enough for the Hikari Pellets or Blood Worms.  I know that the folks stress variety in diet, but I do not push my Bettas to do this.  They get settled on one thing and do not really like to be messed with and I don't try to force them to change.  I think this can constipate a fish by changing their diet suddenly.  Peas twice a week should be given routinely as a treat especially to ANY Betta who has ever had a constipation problem, but they should not replace a meal unless they are actually constipated.  If they are constipated although, the Betta foods should be held completely for at least 48 hours and nothing but small pieces of pea given to work the blockage through their system.  (You already know this and I do apologize for being so basic but I never know who may read this.)

If you do want to consider the vitamins the link is as follows:

The Freshwater 4 ounce size has lasted me for about 3 months using it in 3 (or sometimes 4) tanks every day (1 drop per gallon) so there is no reason to get the large size.  I do refrigerate it to make sure it is staying as potent as possible although it does not say anything about it.  The reason I use it in those dosages is that it cannot be effectively mixed with the food several time a week in Betta food as the directions suggest so I just add it to the water every day.  I also believe it helps in the quarantine tanks to get the stress levels down on new fish.

I have to quit this before I have a book  ;D :.  Hope this hasn't bored you to pieces and maybe helped a little.

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Here's a better pic. I found that with the use of a flashlight I can get a little better quality as far as color. It's still blurry, because he moves so quickly....
He likes to chase the beam from the light, like a cat would.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom