Little bit of an issue...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bettamars, Jul 11, 2015.

1. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

This summer my family is having our house remodeled. It will take about two months since there are only 2 rooms in the house that are not getting remodeled, which is my room (where my fish are located) and my sister's room. So instead of staying home while the workers are working, my mom has decided that she wants to get a hotel for the summer so that we won't be in the way of the workers. This is a potential issue because we might not be coming home every day to feed the fish. I hope I can come to a compromise and get them to take me home to feed them/do a water change as needed every two days. Will it be a problem to only feed them once every two days and hopefully do a water change once or twice a week? I only have 8 harlequin rasboras at the moment and will be added a honey or dwarf gourami, a Bolivian ram (if I can get one), and 3 male guppies. Potentially some snails (mystery and nerite), but I probably will wait until the summer is over since I can't feed any fresh veggies until we have our house back :p I am also going to be going on a trip for a week. I will not have anyone to watch my fish, so I won't be feeding them for a week. We leave Tuesday morning and the workers will start on Monday. I am hoping someone will take me home everyday to feed, but don't know if that is a possibility. I don't want to have to give my fish up since I just got them. I wish she had told me sooner. I also don't know which hotel/where and how far it is located from my house and when we will get the hotel or anything. Well anyway I guess my main question is, can fish go a few days without eating, get fed once, and then go another few days without food and continue this for two months?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes it shouldn't be a problem. Fish can go a few days without being fed. Continue water changes as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. TracyLeeAnne

TracyLeeAnne Valued Member Member

I know you're asking about feeding & I agree with Dom90, but heads up the construction work is likely to be messy. They're probably going to be sawing, sanding, plastering, painting, etc and all that airborne dust and debris will settle in the tank water if the area where it's located is not well sealed. Close and seal with plastic and tape the AC supply vent (at the ceiling or floor) and I would go so far as to close the door and seal the doorway the same way. Maybe you can just take the tank to the hotel with you :)

4. OP
    OP
    bettamars

Thanks for the tips! I knew it would be messy, but forgot about the dust coming through the vents. The door will be closed, but the workers will be replacing the carpeting in the hallway, right up to my door. I hope all goes well and I bet my fish will be real happy to see me when I come :) I will probably do water changes twice a week since I might feed them a little more than I usually do. Maybe as much as they'll eat in 4 or 5 min sound good instead of my usual as much as they'll eat in 1 or 2 min twice a day? I doubt my parents, let alone the hotel, would allow me to bring a 20 gallon tank (although I wish!).

5. Dom90

Even if you had the door shut, theres still gonna be that little gap between the door itself and the floor.. so what I would do is fold a couple towels and keep that slit blocked as much as possible, to lessen the chance of any dust flying in.

6. OP
    OP
    bettamars

I'll try my best to get some towels in there, but I can't put them on the outside, so I'll have to find a way to get the towels up to the door on the inside while I'm still on the outside. Thanks!

7. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't give the fish any extra food, that will only pollute the water faster.
    Fish are fine to go 4-6days without food.
    Another alternative could be an automated fish food dispenser or the food blocks, BUT I don't have experience with either of those items so I don't know if they are a bad idea or not, somebody else will have to say if there is any drawbacks to those items.

8. Dom90

Those vacation food blocks are not high in nutritional value and generally leave your water very cloudy. Tried them a couple times in the past, the fish didn't really seem interested and it just added to the bioload I guess.

9. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I was just researching them, very mixed reviews, I know my dad used to use them when I was a kid.
    Not sure how much an automated despencer would cost the OP, but for that duration it could be an option, I remember seeing one at Walmart but didn't pay attention to cost. I know it would cost one heck of a lot less than getting one from petsmart though.

10. Dom90

I tried the Walmart one before, costs about $12. It's a "manual" automatic feeder where the thing works like a dial. You fill it up with flakes and it will feed your fish every 12 hours.

11. VAFish

VAFish Valued Member Member

Sneak the 20 gallon tank into the hotel room and just cover it up when the maid comes lol. I snuck 3 cats into a hotel for over a week in between moves. LOL

12. OP
    OP
    bettamars

Trying to sneak a 20 gallon past my parents might be hard though ;)

13. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

If it's a really thin gap between the bottom of the door and the floor you could attach one of those rubber weather seals to the bottom of the door, that would help keep some of the debris out.   something kind of like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

If your tank has a proper cover on it, and the door to your room is closed, I can't imagine anything from a remodel getting into your tank. Being overly cautious won't hurt. But seriously. If your really worried about, through a towel or blanket over the tank. You have not mentioned being worried about plants, so leave the light off. The fish will be fine.

Fish can go a long time without food. So feeding every couple days and changing the water once a week will be fine.

15. OP
    OP
    bettamars

Would you recommend I get one? I'd still come back at least once a week to do a water change, but I'm still a little wary about only feeding my fish once every 2-3 days (or more) continuously for 2 months. I usually crush up the flakes between my fingers so they're small cause my rasboras sometimes will take a big flake and then drop it to go get the easier to eat food. They usually end up getting it later, but I don't like to take chances. I could put in about as much as they usually eat in 2 minutes into each slot and then let it feed them every twelve hours? I've heard that some people don't recommend them because they could malfunction and over feed. If anyone has any experience with a certain one that works well, I'd love to hear it!

16. Dom90

Well this one is a clock-style feeder that turns like a dial, not a digital one. Check it out and test it for a couple days before you actually go to the hotel to see if you like it.

I used it when I first started fishkeeping. I had just bought a 10g, didn't know about the nitrogen cycle, had a couple guppies in there. My friend was getting married so I figured I could use the feeder to feed my fish. It did little good though, the guppies had died by the time I came back three days later :( The flakes were scattered along the top so it did work though. (This is when I started researching and learned how to properly keep fish)

17. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

Take some 3 inch wide tape, stick two pieces together with a 1/4 overlap and put that along the edge of the door on the inside. When you close the door it becomes a vapor seal.

18. Dom90

By the way, this seems to be the only active thread for us night owls...

19. OP
    OP
    bettamars

I think this is the one you're talking about?  

It has a 3 star overall review but I read one guy's that said he'd been using his for 7 years as a regular feeder and that most people mistake theirs for being broken when they really just didn't understand it I guess.

There is also one at petco that's about $13 that has 2.6 paws (stars) overall review. Lots of people said it worked other than a couple flaws that were pretty easy to fix. It's also programmable so I can set it to my normal feed schedule, but I'm not sure if it works too well as the ratings don't seem to think it's too great. Not exactly sure if I will get one. I will have to talk about it with my parents soon. The Eheim one is over $40, but seems to have good reviews so unless I can talk my parents into getting that one (doubt it :p), I might get the Walmart or petco one.

Also, yeah I'm a nighttime fishlore lurker :p

20. OP
    OP
    bettamars

Thanks! I'll try that (if I can find some 3 inch tape :eek:).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice