Listless Fish

1. s

sylvie Initiate Member

My fish aren't eating and aren't being aslively as usual after I remodeled their tank to be substrateless so it would be easier for me to clean the tank. I kept all of their ornaments and used the same gravel in the potted plants for them so I wouldn't lose my cycle, and I haven't because all of the parameters are the same. Here's a picture of them in their tank. I am very worried 20180528_150438.jpg

2. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

The beneficial bacteria that maintain the cycle is found in areas with high oxygen exchange, meaning 99.9999% of your bacteria is found in your HOB filter, not your gravel; tanks with undergravel filters are more likely to have higher concentrations of bacteria in the substrate.
    When you say all your parameters are the same, did you test them yourself? What test kit are you using?
    When you removed the gravel, you probably release a bunch of nitrogen and other nasties into the water. Water probably happened was all the poop, uneaten food, detritus, etc. that was in the tank settled and was breaking down in the gravel. Removing the gravel and stirring everything up released all that gunk into the water column. I would personally do a pretty large water change just in case. Other than that, I can't think of anything else to do, other than make sure they're not breathing heavily, don't have any signs of ammonia burn, and watch and wait

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you list your exact water parameters for pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change?

What size tank is this?

4. OP
    OP
    s

sylvie Initiate Member

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 5
    nitrate 0
    36 gallon tank
    And I did a 50% water change yesterday

Temp is 70 oh us 7.6
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 5
    Nitrate 0
    I test myself
    I do weekly 50% water changes, and during the week if it looks dirty I vacuum a little bit

5. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Do you use a liquid test kit or test strips? Liquid kits are much more accurate and less expensive, so I'd definitely suggest them over test strips.
    Did you just clean the tank? The water looks a bit cloudy, so I'm assuming you did. It takes time for fish to adjust to certain changes. You may just need to be patient.
    Will you be planning on upgrading this tank? If it's not the cause already, it may cause stress down the line. A 36-gallon tank is the bare minimum for one telescope goldfish, let alone two.

6. OP
    OP
    s

sylvie Initiate Member

Yeah they're moving to the pond as soon as I feel they're ready. The brass one is going in a few weeks and the telescope only has one eye so well try her in a pond but bring her back in if she doesn't do well. I use liquid test kits, and I JUST cleaned the tank before I took that picture

7. TexasDomer

They may just be a little bored - it seems like you're doing things right :)

8. Adriifu

Everything seems great, then. I would just wait it out. It's most likely just stress from the recent change of scenery. Keep an eye on them for the next few days. Feel free to update us :) By the way, I would personally keep the telescope in this tank. She'll do much better if she's able to deal with the disability in a smaller space.

9. OP
    OP
    s

sylvie Initiate Member

It's no good that they're bored! Is there anything I can do about that

10. TexasDomer

You could add more decor? And some additional plants that they can munch on, like anacharis.

11. Adriifu

12. OP
    OP
    s

sylvie Initiate Member

13. Adriifu

I attempted it with multiple bettas. Takes some time, but the outcome is worth it. Good luck :)